Since Last Week
Last week Elizabeth, Patrick, and Tristan came to Dribbble HQ. We managed to get a little work done, including a Timeout with Beijing designer Paco (Smartison OS above left). We also ferried into Boston (above center) and celebrated our birthday with a Salem Meetup (thanks to Social Palates, AKA John Andrews, for the photo). This week, Patrick is back in Minnesota, Tristan is home in Louisiana, Elizabeth has returned to South Carolina, and we’ve all returned to work.
One Day Left!!! Shopify + Dribbble Playoff
- Nearly 150 of you have jumped into the Shopify Playoff with the theme of “Design is … .” (Opening salvo by Paul Pritchard). One day remains: Go play! Please note that, due to Canadian competition legislation, only residents of Canada (except Quebec), the US, the UK and Australia are eligible to win prizes. We’d still love to see ALL of your work!!!
We don’t get much in the way of company in our little Salem HQ, so we were super excited when experience designer Christian Perez and fashion blogger Jacquelin Perez dropped by. The New Yorkers were up our way celebrating their anniversary. Happy Anniversary and thanks so much for saying hello. (Hey, Johnny Cupcakes, nice T-shirts!) Thanks, too, to Joel Jenkins, lead front-end designer for Boost Software, for stopping by the previous week - sorry we didn’t think to get a photo, you were our first-ever drop-in!
- Community Teamwork “drives change with vital services and key collaborations, to create housing, education and economic opportunities that reduce poverty.” Figmints designed the nonprofit’s annual report.
- Diasporic African Press is “a nonprofit organization that creates high-quality, well-researched and well-written scholarship about the African world.” Phillip Gessert designed a style umbrella for the press.
- Message Head, “a small exercise using layer states with animation chaining in FramerJS” by Guidebook design lead Ed Chao, who “would probably never animate interactions like this in real life, there’s just too much going on”
- Aguamarina visual concept for luxury clothing brand by America Peartree
Don’t Be That Guy
- This A***hole by Jez Burrows from a book on “not being the worst human being on public transport”
- Pioneers Process by Studio Simon/Dan Simon: “Typically my pencil roughs are much tighter than the one in this process example. In this case, however, once I got this very minimal thumbnail down on the page, I immediately had a vision in my head regarding where I would be able to take it. So I didn’t feel the need to develop the sketch further on paper, choosing instead to jump right onto the computer to work out the details.”
- Bye Bye Blondie Beer Brand by Ronlewhorn
Miss American Pie
- We bakes it by Chris Edington
Drove My Chevy to the Levee but the Levee Was Dry
- 70’s Chevy Truck by Jacob Casson
Them Good Old Boys Were Drinkin’ Whiskey
- Whiskey Wednesdays by Billy Tamplin
- Rye 51 Boots by Jonathan Schubert
Singin’ This’ll Be the Day That I Die,
- Death by Michael Javier
This’ll Be the Day That I Dye.
- Dye-Nos Final Packaging by Heather Johnson
Where’s Dribbble? Osaka, Japan!
- Foliage Lettering 2, detail of a project by Kevin Cantrell going to press next week
- Dark Lion by Joseph Le (RAWR)
- Kevin Moran and Francesca are getting married!
- Element Deer - Made to Endure II by Brian Steely for Element
- Sam Mountain shared some free, “kinda flat” icons from Difiz.
- Virool is “playing around” with a new homepage; posted by Andrew Korytsev.
- Jan Martin introduced Wunderlist 3 icon. “The new icon represents everything we changed in the product: We removed unnecessary clutter without losing Wunderlist’s soul.”
Bloomington, Indiana, July 9
Boston, Massachusetts, August 1
Thanks to our global Meetup co-sponsor Shopify.
- Yekaterinburg, Russia
Friday, August 8, 9 p.m., location TBD. RSVP.
- Cleveland, Ohio
Dribbble at the National Poster Retrospecticus, Friday, August 9, 6 p.m., Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, 1100 East 9th St. Note: This is not a traditional Meetup; rather, we encourage Dribbblers to meetup at the NPR show. Please note: attendees must pay museum admission. RSVP.
- Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Saturday, August 9, 6 p.m., location TBD. RSVP.
- Istanbul, Turkey
Sunday, August 10, 3 p.m., Limonata Etiler, Etiler Mahallesi, Nispetiye Caddesi, No 96, Beşiktaş, İstanbul. RSVP.
- Portland, Oregon
PDX Lettering Collective, Wednesday, August 13, 6:30 p.m., Cathedral Park (just under the St. John’s Bridge). BYO snacks. Activities to include a rotation game - first person creates a letter, second adds, etc. until a word appears. Participation optional. RSVP.
- Dallas, Texas
Chicken Foundry Eat-up, Wednesday, August 13, 7 p.m., Chicken Scratch/The Foundry, 2303 Pittman Street. RSVP.
- Cleveland, Ohio
Dribbble @ the NPR @ Weapons of Mass Creation Fest, Friday - Sunday, August 15-17, noon - 8 p.m., Cleveland Public Theatre, 6415 Detroit Avenue. RSVP.
- Boston, Massachusetts
The Email Design Conference Dribbble Meetup, Monday, August 18, 6 p.m., District Hall, 75 Northern Avenue, Fort Point. Sponsored by Litmus, Campaign Monitor, Shopify, and Dribbble. RSVP.
- Atlanta, Georgia
Thursday, August 21, Trader Vic’s, Hilton Atlanta, 255 Courtland Street. Sponsored by MailChimp. More information and RSVP link to follow.
- Porto Alegre, Brazil
CREATIVE BOOST Dribbble e Woodoo/LABS Brasil, Saturday, August 23, 2 p.m. - 7 p.m., UTC-03, Casa Liberdade, Rua Liberdade, 553. RSVP.
- Brooklyn, New York
Dribbble @ the NPR, Saturday, August 23, 6 p.m., Cotton Candy Machine, 235 South 1st Street. Featured artist: Two Arms Inc. RSVP.
- Lansing, Michigan
Capital Area Inaugural Dribbble Meetup, Wednesday, August 27, 7:30 p.m., 435 East Grand River Ave., East Lansing. RSVP.
- Odessa, Ukraine
Saturday, August 30, 10 a.m., 30 Августа10:00Одесса, ул. Приморский бульвар, 11, г-ца Лондонская. Sponsored by Provectus. RSVP.
Have a shot you’d like considered for Replay? Send the link to email@example.com.