Since Last Week
Happy Birthday to Us! July 9 marks the first-ever shot, Dan's Working on the new shop (above left). To celebrate, we’re hosting a Playoff on the theme of 5. (Playoff shot above center.) Go play to win great prizes plus $1,000 for the charity of your choice. Winners chosen by the Dribbble Team. The 10 most popular Rebounds will win a $25 coupon code for the Equipment Shop.
*Those of you who have already Rebounded - make sure you included your charity in the comments section.
We ran our first Moonlighting article last week. The occasional series will feature designers who spend a significant amount of time on other professional pursuits. Specifically, we’ll be looking at how that other job informs design work. First up: Designer/Funeral Director/Mayor/Firefighter/Father Mel Pennington (shot Jazz Funeral above right). Think you fit the bill? Email email@example.com.
National Poster Retrospecticus Meetupticus
A while back, a group of you in Sacramento piggybacked on an art museum gathering. The event wasn’t aimed at Dribbblers, but the art museum offered Dribbblers an event discount and provided a different backdrop for the usual design conversation. We liked that idea and so are teaming up with the National Poster Retrospecticus to present a series of non-Meetup Meetups. The NPR is a traveling show of more than 300 hand-printed event posters from over 100 of the most prominent poster designers in the USA, including a number of Dribbblers. While there won’t be an official Meetup (nopizzanobeer), we encourage you to attend the shows and seek each other out. We’ll send swag and Dribbble name tags to help you identify each other, and the show organizer, John Boilard (AKA JP Boneyard), will be offering a 10 percent discount on NPR merchandise (e.g. T-shirts, branded tour posters) to all Dribbblers in attendance. (Most events are free.) Keep an eye on our Meetups section in Replay for upcoming shows, and keep an eye on the NPR’s Twitter feed and Facebook page for more specifics.
- Brightalyze by James McDonald; Brightalyze is a platform for web app development.
- Eventim.de ticketing site, redesigned last year (posted to Dribbble last week) by Dann Petty
Worlddd Cup 2014
- From Indicius: Round 16 is no laughing matter. You’re either in or you’re out and there are no second chances! The first four winners were Sweden, Colombia, Croatia & Uruguay. They will be facing each other in the Quarter Finals. China & Iran are currently winning today, but you have time to score goals! Next: Argentina vs Honduras & Russia vs Portugal — who will move on to the Quarter Finals? Go to worldddcup.com and have a say in who wins!
I Want to Ride My Bicycle.
- Artcrank tour poster 2014 by Anne Ulku
Variations on the Theme of Turtle
- The Ninja Turtle: Leo Leo! by Michael Anderson
- The Turtleneck: Andy, portrait minimaliste by Camille Lannel
- The Turtle Iconic: Making Science Icons by Keaton Taylor for Blue Fish interactive design studio
- Part of a for-client project revolving around US National Parks by Hardly Code’s Rick Murphy
Best Resume Ever.
- Resum-Ale by Brennan Gleason. Each box contains his resume. Each bottle features a piece designed by Brennan. Each bottle contains blonde ale brewed by Brennan.
- Royal tumblr theme (free!), posted by Pawel Kadysz and released by Pixel Drive in celebration of their new website and blog.
- The Ernest Hemingway Collection website, posted by Jeremy Mansfield, creative director and UX design lead at Brand Aid Design Co. The Hemingway Collection offers “Hemingway inspired lifestyle products & services.”
Happy 25 Tim Burton’s Batman
- Batman 25th Anniversary by Dangerdom, AKA Dominic Flask
We Like to Take Pictures.
- Shuttertalk v2 by Artission
- Vintage Polaroid icons (free!) by Patricia Martinez, art director and creative conceptor
- User photo and video page by Vivek Ravin for “an ongoing project”
- Unused logo for Euphoria Salon by Luke Bott
- S is for Sunflower Seeds by Tommy Perez and his two-year-old daughter
- Play! illustration “about the Football (soccer) World Cup” by Antonio Rodrigues Jr., “part of a series of illustrations commissioned by a widely renowned sports company (particularly known for their shoes)”
- Sports Illustrated has launched the new SI.com; posted by Deputy Design Director Alicia Hallett.
- The Underbelly redesign is live; posted by Anthony Lagoon.
Dublin, Ireland, June 23
Creative Mornings Boston, June 27
Not a Meetup proper; rather, Dribbble teamed with Creative Mornings Boston for its June event, hosted by WeWork Fort Point and General Assembly Boston. Per Rich: “great talk, lots of good mingling time, beautiful space.”
Thanks to our global Meetup co-sponsor Shopify.
- Madrid, Spain
Friday, July 4, 5 p.m., Bar Cock, 16 Calle Reina. RSVP.
- Portland, Oregon, USA
PDX Lettering Collective Potluck, Monday, July 7, 6:30 p.m., Irving Park, NE Fremont Street. Cool exercises and games to get you drawing letters. Bring one delicious edible thing to share. RSVP.
- Karachi, Pakistan
Monday, July 7, 7 p.m., Regent Plaza. RSVP.
- Bloomington, Indiana, USA
Wednesday, July 9, 6 p.m., Cowork Btown, 406 S. Walnut St. Shot talks, drinks and more. RSVP.
- Montevideo, Uruguay
Thursday, July 10, 7 p.m., location TBD. RVSP.
- Brisbane, Australia
Friday, July 11, 5:45 p.m., location TBD. RSVP.
- Dhaka, Bangladesh
Friday, July 11, 6:30 p.m., location TBD. RVSP.
- Seoul, South Korea
Friday, July 11, 7 p.m., location TBD. RSVP.
- Palo Alto, California, USA
Wednesday, July 16, Palantir HQ, 542 High Street, 7 p.m. RSVP at dribbble.palantir.com.
- De Pere, Wisconsin, USA
Wednesday, July 16, 7 p.m., location TBD. RVSP.
- Lansing, Michigan, USA
Wednesday, July 16, 7:30 p.m., location TBD. RSVP.
- Bekasi, Indonesia
Wednesday, July 23, 6 p.m., Starbucks, Grand Galaxy Park. RSVP.
- Salem, Massachusetts
5th Birthday Party for Dribbble, Wednesday, July 30, Dribbble HQ, 16 Front Street, Suite 202. Details and RSVP information to follow.
- Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico
Thursday, July 31, 8 p.m., location TBD. RSVP.
- Boston, Massachusetts
National Poster Retrospecticus. Not a Meetup but a chance to meet up with other Dribbblers at the National Poster Retrospecticus’s Boston show. Dribbble swag too! Friday, August 1, 6 p.m., BU Art Gallery at the Stone Gallery, 855 Commonwealth Ave. RSVP.
Have a shot you’d like considered for Replay? Send the link to firstname.lastname@example.org.