Stories from Dribbble

Courtside

Timeout: Ryan Putnam

Timeouts are lightning-quick interviews. Five questions to help you get to know the players holding court at Dribbble. Many thanks to Ryan for being today’s interviewee.

Who are you? Let us know where you hail from and what you do.

Ryan Putnam Hey guys! I’m Ryan Putnam and I’m from Colorado Springs, CO. I’m a designer, illustrator and blogger. I run the design studio Rype Arts, the blog Vectips and the online shop, Vector Mill. On the side I dabble in pottery, sculpture, and I’m a perpetual doodler.

What are you working on?

I’m working on a bunch of stuff right now. I’m revamping Vectips, making some design changes to the Rype Arts website and continuing to work on the Vector Mill crates. I’m mulling over some changes to Vector Mill so that the crates come out on a more regular basis. I’ve got some client work going on now as well. It’s a mixture of branding projects and illustrations.

Choose a favorite shot of yours. Why is it a favorite?

Ticket Stub

Ticket Stub

by Ryan Putnam

Played with an old basketball ticket stub for my submission.

View on Dribbble

This is one of those rare times when the design went almost exactly according to plan. From my initial sketches, to the final shot…I was really happy with it! Plus, it gave me a chance brush up on my typography and truthfully, it was just really fun to put together! An added bonus was I won a cool font and some t-shirts.

Tell us about your setup. What tools did you use to create the shot(s)? (e.g. hardware, software, pens, paper, blowtorch, etc.)

If you know me, you know my primary software is Adobe Illutrator. I spend 90% of my day working in Illustrator and the other 10% in the other Adobe software and Coda. As for non-design software, I can’t live without Evernote, OmniFocus, Reeder, and a browser.

For hardware, my primary machine is a 27in iMac and my mobile machine is a 13in MacBook Air. Other essentials are: Wacom Intous4 Medium Pen Tablet, Moleskine, 2mm Caran d’Ache Lead Holder with HB lead, Pigma Micron Pens, and grab bag of markers, brushes, and ink.

Choose a favorite shot from another Player. Why do you dig it?

I love this shot. It has this mid-century modern / Total Recall / Noir feel that I love. Whenever I look at it, I create all these crazy stories in my head about what is being illustrated. Craig Henry is awesome. He is an expert with color, texture, composition, and story telling.

Find more Timeout stories on our blog Courtside. Have a suggestion? Contact stories@dribbble.com.