Senior Visual Designer
Tock is changing the way restaurants, wineries, and culinary event organizers run their business. This includes a robust reservation, guest, and table management system for businesses of all sizes across the globe.
Nick Kokonas and Chef Grant Achatz opened Alinea to international fanfare in 2005 - now a perennial Michelin three star and widely considered one of the best restaurants in the world. For years they were spending $140,000 a year on staff dedicated to managing reservations and losing an average of $260,000 a year on cancellations. Knowing there had to be a solution, Nick started work on a new reservation system. The homemade platform was a success. Soon after, Nick founded Tock with Brian Fitzpatrick, founder of Google's Chicago engineering office, to turn this simple idea into a robust platform to change the way people dine around the world.
Tock’s explosive growth (as of October 2019):
- Reached a global customer base of over 1,600 businesses in over 28 countries operating in 100+ cities
- Has booked over 20 million guests
- Has processed over $600 million in prepaid reservations
- Named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative companies
- Won Chicago Tribune's "Game Changer" Award for industry innovation
About the team
The Marketing team is a small but mighty crew of six. We have the exciting job of growing interest and awareness of Tock globally across the restaurant, winery, and event industries. The team takes a data-driven approach to identify the most effective marketing channels. We pride ourselves on test and learn strategies and aren’t afraid to be a bit audacious (it’s easy when your CEO encourages it). The team is creative, nimble and passionate about helping not only our customers succeed in a very competitive market, but also helping guests discover and experience something uniquely delicious.
What we're looking for
We are looking for a brand-obsessed visual designer with an extensive digital background to contribute to our business, it’s growth and success, while helping anchor and grow our design team. You’ll be responsible for delivering high-performing, on-brand creative work for web, email, social media, and digital acquisition ads. You’ll also help redefine our brand, giving the team and entire company the confidence to take Tock to the next level.
What you'll do
- Level-up the quality and execution of design work across a wide range of marketing initiatives—everything from how an icon is executed to our entire homepage.
- Work with the entire design team to envision what is next for our brand. We are entering new territory and need your help defining how we tell that story.
- Support marketing and sales initiatives through digital and email campaigns (for both B2B and B2C), landing pages, and sales collateral and presentations
- Turn marketing briefs under the guidance and direction of design leads into creative, compelling work aimed at hitting key performance metrics (e.g. click-through rate, conversion rate, activation rate) across social media platforms and optimize quickly working closely with the paid social & display marketing manager.
- Create ads that clearly communicate Tock’s value to new and existing customers (B2B) and guests (B2C)
- Manage deadlines on a wide variety of projects, no project managers yet! They will range from short-turnaround individual projects to larger initiatives where collaboration is a must—you’ll probably need help from writers, marketing managers, sales directors, business development managers, and other picky designers.
- 6+ years of relevant experience
- Great design skills that cover a wide range of creative execution including interactive, digital, social, and email.
- Portfolio demonstrating highly creative and effective design work that strongly support larger business goals
- Proficient knowledge in Sketch or Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Experience designing specifically for the email channel with a complete understanding of email design best practices
- Experience working quickly and efficiently, and keeping pace in a startup environment
- Be comfortable with projects that may not be completely defined and use a scrappy, resourceful approach to bring definition and drive results when needed
- Demonstrate strong collaboration and communication skills
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills: meet tight deadlines and manage multiple projects at once
- A willingness to learn basic HTML and CSS (primarily for e-mail projects)