We believe that exceptional design is essential to our vision to transform the relationship between governments and the people they serve. Design at Elucd will drive how leaders of cities make better decisions, impacting the lives of millions of people for the better, resulting in a more just and equitable society.
As one of Elucd's early hires, you will have lasting impact on building the business, its culture, and its success. You will be our first full-time designer, partnering with founders, product and engineering leaders who have deep respect for the critical role of design. We also want to partner with you in building your skills, your knowledge, your network, and you. You can expect from us not just a job, but support and mentorship around transforming your career. You will enjoy great autonomy, have great responsibility, and will directly affect the outcome of everything that you touch.
We are tackling one of the most important issues of our time -- the relationship between governments and the communities that they serve, starting with policing. Success for us means impact on hundreds of millions of people around the U.S. and billions around the world. We've got a unique head start on the problem in a critical sector, and we are looking for partners that will be game-changers for us in achieving our mission.
We care less about your specific credentials, and more about your potential to be a transformative member of our team. We are deeply committed to a culture of curiosity and learning. Every team member is furnished with a budget for ongoing learning, financial support for participation in conferences and meetups, as well as regular lunch-and-learns and other personal and professional growth opportunities.
Elucd is based in the DUMBO neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York City, right at the base of the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges. A great, vibrant work neighborhood, with lots to see and do (and eat.) Gorgeous views of the Manhattan skyline. 90 seconds from two Subway stations (F and A/C).
- Work closely with every part of the organization on a mix of small and large projects -- from product to business development and other high priority business needs.
- Own the design and UX process for the company - from problem definition to design implementation. Implementation, including creation and maintenance of style guides & processes.
- Tell stories and frame problems for a diverse audience of stakeholders, helping them envision the opportunities.
- Articulate user journeys with scenarios, storyboards and presentations, low- and high-fidelity mocks, detailed interaction specs, and prototypes to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas.
- Advocate for user-centered product roadmaps, investments in last-mile refinement and polish, and insights driven by user research.
- Present the user interface visually so information is easy to read, easy to understand and easy to find.
- Lead development and stewardship of the company’s brand identity.
- Market and promote products and features so users understand the value proposition and their benefits.
- Support digital advertising campaigns with creative.
Required Skills & Background
- At least 5 years of professional experience across the design org and 10 years within the design community
- A portfolio of relevant design work, executed either by yourself or a team that you led, that conveys an ability to ship successful products that people love
- A highly refined aesthetic sense that will define Elucd’s approach to design, and a strong preference for simplicity.
- Attention to detail. (It drives you absolutely crazy that some of the bullet points in this description have periods at the end and others don’t.)
- A user-centered approach to designing software for people who are not digital natives
- Experience working with engineers and product managers to drive strategy, vision, and execution
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts and design decisions to a non-technical audience, both in writing and verbally
- A collaborative, low-ego approach to working with others
- Strong sense of ownership, desire to be part of a foundational team, and build something from the ground up
- Interest in cities, government and technology for social good
- Current authorization to work full-time in the U.S.
- BA/BS degree in Design (e.g., interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial), HCI, CS, or a related field or equivalent practical experience
- An active participant in the design community, will capably represent themselves and Elucd as leaders in the field.
- Incredibly curious. Constantly seeking knowledge, excited to share it with your colleagues.
- Experience with front-end engineering practices, including HTML, CSS and React.js
- Experience working at an early-stage startup (Seed, A or B)
- Specialization/deep experience in data visualization
- Expertise designing for multiple platforms, including mobile
- Experience working on B2B or B2G SaaS
- Experience with impact tech/social justice work
- Domain experience in working with government/law enforcement
- Proven ability to act as a leader in communicating conceptual ideas and design rationale, all within a user-centered design process.
Elucd is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Diversity and inclusion is a foundational value of our company. We know that we will do our best, most innovative, and most impactful work (and have the most fun in doing it!) if we prioritize representation and true inclusion. We proudly hire talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences.Posted 10 days ago Apply Now