Trending designs to inspire you
Work designers are riffing on
Interviews, tutorials, and more
Prompt to flex your design skills
Find your dream design job
An exclusive list for contract work
Get new leads in your inbox every day
Introduce yourself to new clients with Pitch
Learn product design in just 16 weeks...
Learn UI Design Basics and Figma Fundamentals...
Scale Design Systems in 8 weeks...
Land your dream job! You'll have a career support specialist to review your portfolio...
Level up your skills with our interactive courses and workshops…
Portfolio creation made easy
Fresh leads in your inbox every day
Build your team’s pipeline or profile
Find, contact, and hire designers
The #1 job board for creatives
Board for freelance & contract work
Founded in 1972, Midland is a household appliance dealer located in Canada, focusing on the upscale and luxury segment.
After reviewing the briefing, I started to get a sense of how the letters would work together in a different variety of styles. This immediately gave away we needed to use the natural flow of the letters to our benefit.
It was clear we needed to find a middle ground between the top two sketches. Using the flow of the top left sketch and the mono-line thickness of the top right sketch. Besides, adding a more pronounced M which could be used as a stand-alone icon.
Although definitely an improvement, the "M" felt a bit lost compared to the other characters. I decided to use the top right sketch "M" I made earlier as a reference because it felt more cohesive.
The middle bottom M felt the best as a wordmark and also as a stand-alone icon. With a small touch, reducing the length of the bottom left stroke, the foundation was set.
It still feels a bit wonky overall, which we are going to solve in the final stage.
A few pointers:
The ascenders are slightly bent, which need to be straight.
Add extra weight and look at all the line work.
Make sure all the characters have the same italic slant.
Increase top-line of the M.
Reduce size of the "i" dot.
The Final Logo
The time spend to get it visually to this level was totally worth it. It feels cohesive as a whole and the consistency is massively improved.