We're one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we're making homeownership simpler, faster - and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it's like to buy and own a home in this country, we're building things that don't exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we're one of Crain's "Best Places to work"
- We're #11 on Fortune's Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.'s 2019 "5000 Fastest-Growing Companies"
- We've secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We've recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire homebuying journey.
Design plays a massive role in achieving this. Mortgages are complicated and quite frankly, stale. As designers, our job is to take all this complexity, distill it down to its essence, and repackage it into something simple, intuitive, and enjoyable.
That's why we don't distinguish between UX, Visual, or Product Designers. Our designers are all of them - part business strategist, part user researcher, and 100% committed to creating an exceptional user experience in a space that sorely needs it.
The Role: Senior Designer
As a Senior Designer at Better, your task is to blend design and strategy to solve complex user problems. You must be highly strategic and detail-oriented, with a deep understanding of visual design, UX, and service design. We're looking for T-shape designers - experts in one area, yet comfortable with a broad range of challenges. This can encompass everything from tough interaction patterns to intricate service design solutions. Across them all, you can balance quick delivery timelines and the voices of many different stakeholders. Product Managers, Engineers, Data Scientists, and UX Researchers will see you as a partner, not just an executor.
Collaboration and critique are at the core of everything we do. We believe that creating the best product experience requires intense collaboration, constant questioning, and a healthy level of challenge. The user is always our focus. So, we don't waste time presenting in Google Slides or Keynote. We prototype, test, and iterate - early and often.
What you bring:
- 5+ years of experience
- A portfolio of exceptional work across digital products, branding, and user experience applications
- Expertise developing and conveying ideas, data, and business concepts clearly in written and visual format
- Demonstrate and model beautiful, functional visual and interaction design, typography, and hierarchy
- Expertise in Figma, Illustrator, Principle, and Google Slides
- Attention to detail- every decision matters
- A track record of shipping great design, and an understanding of releasing features in phased/incremental stages
- Experience and appetite for identifying and solving complex, ambiguous design problems with best-in-class solutions
- Proven ability to lead and collaborate in cross-functional environments
- Ability to create project timelines and prioritize current projects
- Impeccable execution and care for all aspects of design, from conceptual thinking to motion and visual design
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and present findings, and articulate design rationale
- Experience working in a highly iterative, collaborative environment where people share work daily
- Familiarity with prototyping tools (Principle, Invision)
- Proven ability to ship work fast without sacrificing quality or impacting delivery velocity
- Flexible, adaptable, able to work in an entrepreneurial environment
- Zero ego
What you'll do :
- Ideate around, concept, and create exceptional product solutions for complex strategic problems across multiple touchpoints
- Create your own prototypes in Principle or a similar design program
- Consistently attend weekly shadowing sessions with members of other departments (Mortgage Experts, Sales Managers, Underwriters, etc.)
- Review, critique, and provide feedback to other designers
- Present work to other departments and be comfortable articulating the strategic rationale behind a given solution
- Identify product gaps and roadmap solutions with Product Managers and Engineers
- Partner with PMs and Engineers to set KPIs, gather data and iterate on existing product features/designs
- Work with Senior and Lead Designers to evolve our design system
- Respond to feedback provided by external stakeholders and internal department leads
- IF WANTED: Mentor 1-2 designers
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don't get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won't work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don't understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can't wait to leave the conversation and build it.