Data Visualization Designer
We are searching for a talented data visualization designer who can help create powerful, compelling data visualizations and stories to move people to action. This person will help us rethink the way we share our insights with a variety of audiences, including partner organizations, funders, and conferences across the globe. This role will help us create a seamless journey for our audiences, using a variety of mediums in service of telling a story with data such as charts, interactives, and maps.
This role is ideal for someone who is willing to roll up their sleeves and help bring Surgo’s data visualizations and storytelling to the next level. Ultimately, we are looking for someone who can help us get our audiences to that ‘Ah ha’ moment. A passion for t and translating complex topics into easy-to-understand visuals key. You will also need to be able to clearly and concisely express yourself and explain your ideas to both technical and non-technical team members.
On a day-to-day basis, you will be leading the creative process from ideation to final delivery for print, digital, and other media. You will also be collaborating closely with our research and program teams to bring Surgo’s insights to life. Experience visualizing complex data and working with technical stakeholders is a must. This role is a rare position that gives you the opportunity to be both strategic and work directly on content at the same time. It is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to grow their skills and work in the social impact sector.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Translate complex, data-focused insights into simple yet compelling visualizations across print and interactive mediums that can be shared with a wide variety of audiences.
- Employ a variety of methods (charts, web platforms, interactives, etc.) to communicate quantitative insights into clear stories
- Lead creative projects from ideation to final delivery including scoping requirements, budgeting, creating project plans and monitoring to ensure that deliverables are on time and meet the organization’s quality standards.
- Collaborate with and support our technical teams using your creative expertise
- Develop creative, innovative user-centric designs in response to project requirements, user analyses, product innovation, and Foundation marketing.
- Refine Surgo’s visual language and ensure consistency across all mediums and communications - presentations, website, external documents, etc.
- Perform other duties or special projects as required or as assigned by a supervisor.
Core Knowledge and Skills
- High level of proficiency in data visualization and graphic design. Previous experience designing data visualizations and working with stakeholders from technical teams. General understanding of data and statistical methods
- Ability to critically think about numbers and data analytics and convert conclusions into compelling visuals.
- 1-2 years of experience creating data visualizations from large, complex data sets
- Excellent project management skills with an understanding of creative disciplines and client services and a strong ability to translate complex and abstract concepts into simple and well communicated visual presentations
- Able to bring and maintain appropriate and consistent brand voice, tone, and styles across all mediums
- Agile, detail and goal-oriented personality, driven to succeed and always up for a challenge
- Willingness to role up their sleeves to take on a variety of tasks
- Strong collaborating skills, and an ability to work effectively in a flat organization
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines; high energy, self-motivated and proactive
- Ability to multitask, and be flexible with regard to workload and assignments
Reporting: The Data Visualization Designer will report to the Director of Programs.
Location: Washington DC, USA
Interested candidates: Please send resume, cover letter, and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Data Visualization Designer” in the subject line.