Design Director, UX
Who We Are
Maark is a strategic marketing and innovation agency for global companies. We help our clients define and articulate their vision, design new connected customer experiences, and develop applications at the intersection of where what’s possible meets what’s relevant.
Our designers work with relative autonomy on their respective accounts but support each other through collaborative feedback and guidance. We don’t believe in egos and instead look for designers who want to learn from their colleagues and share their skills so we all can make the best work of our careers. Learn more about our product design practice.
We’re headquartered in Boston, MA, but have a hybrid work model—two days a week in the office and three days from home. We’ve operated this way for the last five years and believe it gives us valuable face-time with each other and more time with our families and friends.
As a Design Director at Maark, you will be responsible for setting the vision for your projects, executing that vision with the help of your team, and creating an environment where designers can be successful and make the best work of their careers.
Design Directors at Maark spend a portion of their time on client design work, reserving the rest of their week to support their team. We build this model into how we staff projects to ensure that directors balance design work and leadership.
- Lead the product design process on one of our larger accounts, guiding the team, setting the vision, and being the creative point of contact with the client.
- Take part in developing the visual language, infusing the brand voice into the product experience and interface.
- Perform research to inform your design decisions and product direction, sometimes working with research teams to help find insights.
- Delegate design tasks to appropriate designers on your team based on skill level and availability
- Advocate for design, speaking to the value of user research, design systems, and design as a strategic differentiator.
- Foster relationships with client stakeholders, acting as their creative partners on their projects.
- Support your team by promoting a space where designers can learn, grow, be empowered, and make the best work of their careers.
- Lead positive change on the team, improving processes and proposing new initiatives that make the creative team more successful.
- Develop growth plans with designers, and help them track their progress as they improve throughout the year (annual, mid-year, and monthly check-ins)
- Recruit and participate in the hiring of new designers for your team
- You’ve been working on digital products for 7+ years, with some of that time spent managing other designers.
- A portfolio that shows your mastery of design— typography, composition, and color, and your product design process.
- You’ve shipped and launched several products either at an agency or as part of a product company.
- You’re an excellent communicator, experienced in presenting your solutions and process internally and to clients.
- Experience with (and an affinity for) Figma.
- You know what’s possible to build on the web and what might be more difficult (and occasionally build some things yourself).
- You care about designing accessible experiences for all users (and creating tools that help)
Even if you don’t hit 100% of these qualifications, we still encourage you to apply. We can work with you to help build some of these skills over time.
- Work from home three days a week
- 100% paid health and dental
- 401(k) with company match
- Generous paid time off
- Competitive salary
At Maark, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we respect it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Maark is an equal opportunity employer. Employment at Maark is based solely on a person’s merit and qualifications directly related to professional competence. Maark does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by law.
We adhere to these principles in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, promotion, benefits, social and recreational programs, and discipline.