Esther Schinkel

17th century former orphanage in Gouda

  • Save

This orphanage in central Gouda got built in 1642 as an expansion of the preexisting orphanage from the late 1500s. It consisted of the main building, a gate that led to the courtyard and next door a former chapel. At this site, lots of generations or orphaned children were given a home, as well as it being a safe haven to a group of Jewish children during WWII.

Nowadays the building is being used as city library.

keyboard shortcuts: L or F like