Season 2 of the Overtime podcast is here! Listen to the first episode with Meg Robichaud now.
*this was created w/ zero affiliation w/ Nixon*
EDIT: Looks like you guys killed my dropbox account from d/ling the PSD... SWEET!! If you're interested in the PSD, hit me up and I'll find a way to get it to you :)
The idea behind this one being that there would be LEDs backing each of the hour, minute, and second hands incase it got dark (since the glow-in-the-dark hands hardly work anyways). I didn't think it would be auto-detecting as shown in the animation, but would rather to be activated by the user by pushing in the crown. Beyond that, it's a pretty simple design. Big, black, bold, and the watch pieces would (in theory), be thrown into a tumbler to obtain it's random texture, and then polished to a manageable level. I also posted a version where there are no hands, and the LEDs run constantly in the place of them. Now, I'm not sure how realistic this is with battery life, but what the hell... this thing ain't real! :)
Now comes the fun part.
I encourage people to rip, tear, dismantle, reorganize, improve, and bastardize this watch– I'd be curious to see what people would do with a different kind of blank canvas. The watch is almost entirely comprised of shapes and/or layer styles– so if the piece you want to change isn't a shape, at least the lighting effect should translate fairly well to the new form of a comparable size. This was more of a lighting study, and an attempt to try something new, so I know there are definitely details that aren't quite right. Hopefully I'll keep updating the PSD as I nail those things down and think things through a little more.
I really wanted to this for the following reason:
• I have a lot of people ask me how I do some of my compositing– this might help.
• In the steps to become the designer I am today, all I've done is take. I still have many more steps to take, but I figure it's time to give something back.
• I was once told not to rebound someone else's shot of a watch... so I didn't.
• There are no rules. Go nuts buddy and post wherever, whenever. Ideally rebound this thing so they can be shown collected!
• Feel free to change out the Nixon logo and put whatever you want. I've always been a big fan of the brand, so I tossed it in there.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/plgjr49p5qj43dn/watch2_med.psd (197 MB) (05.01.12)
- This is a slightly scaled down version from the original, so there might be a few things that aren't quite right. If you want the full-res 340MB file, let me know and I can give you the link.. I'm just hoping my free dropbox account doesn't implode.
L or F like
Show and tell for designers
What are you working on? Dribbble is a community of designers sharing screenshots of their work, process, and projects.
Copyright © 2009–2017 Dribbble LLC. All screenshots © their respective owners. Shipped from Salem, Mass. USA.