Senior Product Designer
Legl is a fast-growing, B2B SaaS platform with a mission to bring the legal industry into the 21st century. We're making legal services simpler for everyone: changing the way that firms take on new clients, making it easy to pay for legal services, and ensuring that everyone can seamlessly access the law.
We launched on 1 October 2019 and out of the gate had over 100 law firm clients, with customer feedback like “this is transformational”. We have continued to grow, delight customers and win awards including Modern Law's Business Growth (2020).
We have an agile, ambitious and kind team, deep experience across design, tech and growth, and we put our employees first. We’re looking for people who can grow with us.
This is an opportunity to work in an environment where you’ll be challenged and trusted, and where your skills and talents will be valued and respected.
We're looking for a Senior Product Designer to help us design the next generation of legal experiences for everyone.
As a Senior Product Designer, you will do all usual things - champion Product Design, obsess over the customer experience end-to-end, form strong relationships with your Product and Engineering counterparts, but above all you’re a creative problem solver.
You'll be a key player in the success and growth of the team and its positive culture for creativity. As the team grows your role will grow with it. If this sounds like a journey you would love to be a part of, then come and chat with us!
What you’ll do every day
You’ll lead design for a product area. This includes driving the future vision of this area, making sure it compliments a cohesive overall experience, both for the end-users and the lawyers facilitating the customer journeys.
You’ll work with cross-functional product teams. You’ll be responsible for all design interactions; from initial discovery and user journey mapping through to the execution of final UI design details and G2M strategy.
You’ll collaborate regularly using strong communication, documentation and facilitation skills. You’ll work closely with PMs, Engineers, CSMs, Account Executives, and Data to make sure we aren’t just shipping great designs, but we address the right problem and collaborate for the best solutions.
You’ll execute (and advocate for) polished, intuitive and accessible user experiences. You’re pragmatic and able to balance the ideal experience with knowing where and when to make scoping trade-offs based on technical constraints, experimentation strategy or business risk.
You’ll help raise the bar for design at Legl. We’re a small but mighty team where every designer plays a critical role in improving our community of practice—whether that’s through improving our craft skills to leading rituals to giving great feedback to mentoring or coaching other designers. You’ll actively build inclusive environments for design to excel.
We’re a growing, high-energy team where everyone plays a critical role in improving our products and processes.
Our culture is collaborative, ambitious, agile and not ego-driven. Things move fast, we like to see our work solving problems for our customers as quickly as possible, and we value each other. If you share these values, and the description below sounds like you then we would love to hear from you.
What you’re like:
You understand that good design is not about trends but is built on top of principles and tradeoffs. You make well-reasoned design decisions, always advocating for the voice of the customer and the value they are trying to gain from our products.
You collaborate and know that great design doesn’t happen in a vacuum, you involve your teammates early and often. You are experienced with (or at least up for) running workshops, brainstorms and various design sessions.
You care about the UI design details but are also comfortable zooming out, seeing the broader picture and connecting the dots to build a cohesive overall experience.
You are actively curious about (and unphased by) the technicalities of the Legal industry and the competitive landscape, and comfortable driving your own understanding of the space.
You ship and iterate with previous success in conceiving, launching and iteratively improving digital consumer products with experience in product engineering design teams in a start-up or scale-up environment.
Figma is like water to you from concepts to design system components into rapid prototyping and commenting on design critiques – it’s second nature. (Yes, we love paper, iPads and whiteboards too)
- You have 4+ years product design experience working hands-on in-house, shipping world-class B2B SaaS products within a growing, agile, cross-functional team.
- You can demonstrate strategic thinking and are able to make design trade-offs that offer both great user experiences and business value
- You have experience closely partnering with product managers to develop the strategy and rationale for features
- You can showcase an outstanding portfolio, including your process and the problems you’ve solved
- You are comfortable working on complex, open-ended design challenges that create building blocks for tomorrow's projects
- You consider the big picture in relation to the overall experience and designs you deliver.
Bonus (not a must):
- Experience designing analytics or visualisation tool
- Experience designing b2b and b2b2c web portals
- You’ve been on a journey with a growing startup, where you have seen first hand the ambition, collaboration and agility that can enable a team of smart people to change the world.
Salary is market rate and dependent on experience
- Share options, so we all share in Legl’s success
- Opportunity to join a well-funded startup on a mission to make legal services simpler and to do well by doing good
- High and very visible impact in your role. This work really matters - success in this role will drive our growth and have a big impact on the business and our clients
- Team of smart, ambitious and genuinely kind people
- A great and growing remote social culture
- A focus on wellbeing, with a personal wellbeing budget and (optional) pilates and counselling
- Frequent networking events and industry talks
- Learning a lot along the way. We encourage everyone to attend courses, talks and conferences and have regular 121s
We believe in having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply and we don’t discriminate.
Remote working (Covid-19 Statement)
As of March 2020 we are fully remote. There will be the opportunity to work in our physical offices again once the pandemic no longer poses a threat. In the meantime, we have adapted our tools and processes to support productive, connected, collaborative work from our homes around the UK.
In this growth phase, it’s more important than ever that we hire exceptional people to join our team, so our bar is both extremely high and highly specific.
Our interview process is designed to give us really high confidence in your ability, and to give you really high confidence that the role, team and opportunity are right for you.
We also know that interviews can be stressful, so we've designed our interview process to be as fair, friendly and responsive as possible. There are no surprise stages, and you will always know what to expect.
- 30 minute call about the role with our people team
- 45 minute call with the Lead Senior Designer
- Take home exercise and presentation to the product team
- 45 minute call with a selection of our team
- 20 minute follow up with the Lead Senior Designer
- Final 30 minute call with our Head of Product
We appreciate the time commitment we’re asking from you. Our commitments in return are:
- To get back to you quickly at every stage
- To give as much useful feedback as we can after your interview
- To schedule interviews at times that work for you - early mornings, lunchtime, evenings are all fair game
We welcome feedback. Let us know if you have any comments on the process in your application.
Location and Visa Sponsorship
Although we are remote, we can only consider applications from candidates who are resident in the UK. We are able to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role.
We don’t have a closing date for this role, so if the role is still advertised it is worth applying, but we are keen to find the right person as soon as possible, so please apply soon.
Note to recruiters
We are not considering working with any agencies on this vacancy.