ABOUT THE DATAFACE
We’re The DataFace, a small (but growing!) data visualization agency founded in 2017. We operate at the intersection of data science, journalism, and design, helping our clients transform data into beautiful, interactive stories. Over the past three years, we’ve worked with a variety of organizations — from major brands, to research teams, to advocacy groups. In our free time, we let our curiosities guide us, digging into things like the irregularities of baseball fields and streaming services' impact on music consumption.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As we gear up for another year filled with exciting clients and meaningful projects, we’re looking for a Visual Designer to join our team. We want someone with enough expertise to shape our agency’s design process and help us create impactful experiences for an array of platforms and audiences. This person will lead design efforts on a majority of our projects and inform the vision for our final outputs.
Because we’re a nimble, cross-functional team, there will be asks of all sizes that may come across your desk (a.k.a. Slack channel). Some weeks you’ll be storyboarding a full interactive experience; others you’ll be throwing together static graphics and charts; and others you may be fine-tuning our brand’s marketing materials. It’s important you are a self-starter who’s willing to dive right in and take the reins where you’re needed.
This is a remote, full-time (40 hour per week) position, open to anyone whose normal workday will overlap at least a few hours with both U.S. coasts.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING IN THE POSITION
- Helping to shape the creative vision for projects in their infancy.
- Crafting storyboards, wireframes, and mockups as deliverables for clients.
- Designing static graphics, charts, and social assets.
- Shaping the team’s design process and instilling best practices into our workflow.
Here are a few recent projects you might have worked on if you were already part of the team:
- Designing graphics for Yelp’s Q4 2020 Yelp Economic Average report.
- Creating mockups for a digital experience to promote Strava’s Why We Run campaign.
- Storyboarding a scrollytelling piece that walks readers through research on health care spending in North Carolina.
- Designing interactive maps for Campaign Zero’s recent campaign to end no-knock raids in America.
- Giving our website a facelift and updating all branded internal documents to match.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE
- 2+ years of experience working in a design capacity, perhaps at a creative agency, tech company, or media outlet.
- Proven expertise in a design tool like Figma, Sketch, and/or Adobe Creative Cloud.
- A personal portfolio full of beautiful work, ideally with some examples of data viz.
- Comfort interacting and building rapport with clients.
- Ability to manage a fast-paced environment where you’ll juggle multiple projects at once.
NICE TO HAVE
- A baseline understanding of HTML and CSS.
- Some experience with animation and interactive design.
- Strong writing skills and a sixth-sense for storytelling.
Don’t feel like you meet every single requirement? We’d still love to hear from you!
The DataFace is committed to being an anti-racist, inclusive agency and upholding our values in the work we do and environment we foster. At the moment, the makeup of our team falls short of our diversity goals and vision for the future. We encourage people of color, women and members of the LGBTQ+ community to apply, contribute their voices, and help define the agency’s trajectory.