Environmental Graphic Designer
Are you driven by impact? We are HCMA, an interdisciplinary design firm driven by the desire to create happier, healthier, more connected communities. We’re a fast-growing, purpose-driven team. And we need an environmental designer with the ambition, enthusiasm, and talent to help drive this aspect of the business. Where will you take it?
We’re looking for an environmental designer (intermediate to senior) to:
- act as the lead designer on all facets of environmental design, signage, and wayfinding for built environment projects, with support from our Creative Lead
- own projects and act as a key client contact, from initial briefing and concepts through presentations and execution, with support from architectural and communication design teams
What you will do:
- work across a range of built projects, including recreation centres, libraries, fire halls, schools and museums
- develop concepts and design wayfinding, signage systems and placemaking identities, with a sound understanding of costing, materials and fabrication techniques
- design graphics such as pictograms, supergraphics, graphic patterns, and hoardings
- conduct needs assessment, research and interviews; audit existing sites; create graphic standards and style guides; write technical fabrications and installation specifications; deliver production documents for tender and implementation; produce fabrication-ready artwork files; conduct site/shop visits; review shop drawings
- communicate with vendors to determine the best fabrication techniques, and obtain costings
Ideally, you bring:
- 5+ years’ experience in graphic design, including environmental graphics, signage and wayfinding, and user-experience based environments, taking projects from schematic design through to construction intent documentation
- a Bachelor’s degree or higher in Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Interior Design, Architecture or similar
- exceptional creative flair alongside a high level of technical proficiency
- expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, with knowledge of Revit and/or 3D software knowledge a plus
- up-to-date awareness and knowledge of best practices in signage design
- professional membership of GDC, SEGD, or another design-related advocacy organization
- a creative, curious, and collaborative nature, with demonstrated initiative and multitasking abilities
- excellent analytical, problem-solving, communication, and presentation skills.
What we offer
- an opportunity to grow this area of the business, with support from the architectural and communication design teams
- the stability and resources of an established but forward-thinking firm committed to pushing the social impact of design
- the opportunity to collaborate with architects, communication designers, interior designers and other specialists, without the traditional silos
Curious? Get in touch.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your portfolio and a statement on why you’re excited by the opportunity and feel you’d be the right for our team. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Full disclosure of any restrictions must be disclosed at the time of expressing interest and supporting evidence provided prior to any potential offer of employment.