Who We Are:
What makes Discovery Education a GREAT fit for you? We are the global leader in standards-aligned digital curriculum resources, engaging content, and professional learning for K-12 classrooms, and we partner with districts, states, and like-minded organizations to provide teachers with customized solutions that support the success of all learners. When you join the Discovery Education team, you become part of a fast-growing global organization that is empowering educators with the digital tools and professional learning they need to connect students to the real-world.
For candidates interested in taking their next career step in the educational technology space, Discovery Education offers the fast pace and excitement of working for a startup, the support of an established organization, and the opportunity to be on the front lines of innovation in an industry that is always growing and transforming. Team members enjoy a high-energy, purpose-driven work environment — as well as tremendous opportunities to grow, learn and make a difference. We are an organization focused on diversity and inclusivity that provides opportunities to engage with people from variety of backgrounds. If you like working with a curious, collaborative, high-performing team, Discovery Education is the place for you.
Living Our Values:
Discovery Education is a company that lives and breathes its Values. By doing so, we position our organization to continue leading the education technology world.
INNOVATION: We drive a culture of innovation within our organization and with our partners to prepare leaders of tomorrow.
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT: We commit to continuous improvement by anticipating and adapting to the changing needs of our partners and the educational landscape.
EMPOWERMENT: We empower all learners by providing highly engaging, relevant experiences our partners trust.
INTEGRITY: We hold ourselves to the highest-standards and conduct ourselves with integrity in all that we do.
COMMUNITY: We connect and support our global community of learners.
INCLUSIVITY: We strive to build a company with people from diverse backgrounds, so we can better enable all learners to reach their highest potential regardless of race, gender, socio-economic standing, sexual orientation, language, ability, location, or technology.
About the role:
Discovery Education is seeking a full-stack product designer to join our Platform Team to deliver intuitive, elegant and functional experiences for our award-winning suite of blended learning K-12 products. A keen aesthetic sensibility and attention to detail, combined with a user-centered methodology, is critical for success. The ideal candidate enjoys rapid prototyping and working directly with researchers, product managers, and developers to collaboratively ensure a product’s success. They care deeply about delivering engaging, effective, and easy-to-navigate educational experiences for students, educators, and administrators.
In this role, you will have the ability to drive innovation by partnering with our individual product teams through every step of the product development process — from concepting new features and defining overall strategy, to conducting end-user testing to inform iterative product improvements. An ideal candidate will solve complex product issues, understand business goals, and continuously explore innovative design approaches.
- Solve problems, understand business goals, and explore innovative design approaches while working with product teams to plan and build iteratively.
- Lead execution of high-quality wireframes, mockups, user journeys, and interactive prototypes
- Take challenging workflows and convert them into simple, intuitive, and elegant experiences.
- Contribute to the overall creative vision for learning products, integrating the Discovery Education brand while visually communicating the goals of the product.
- Work collaboratively with team members from product, curriculum, editorial, analytics, design and engineering.
- Develop all visual components for the UI including components, views and pages. Must be proficient in responsive and mobile.
- Help drive the vision of the product forward by participating in user testing of your designs, and partnering to develop initial user testing scripts and following up with recommendations based on user input.
- Manage and develop a consistent design language to guide the look and feel of the company’s portfolio of products, utilizing and contributing to the DE Design System.
- Present design solutions to internal stakeholders in ways that deepen their understanding of how the design solves the problem for the user at hand.
- Contribute to the evolution Discovery Education’s design system and component library
- Professional Experience: 5+ years of product design experience in one or more of the following areas: SaaS application design, mobile design; platform/systems design, AR/VR design, data visualization, game design. Experience designing for children as well as adults a plus!
- Knowledge & Skills: Experience turning complex problems into simple and engaging experiences. Comfort with an iterative design process that includes accepting and acting on feedback and constructive criticism. Familiarity designing for accessibility needs.
Experience with the Agile/Lean product development methodology as well as related product management tools such as: Jira, Confluence, and Asana.
Strong execution skills and proficiency in leading design tools such as Figma, Sketch, and Adobe Creative Suite.
Demonstrated collaboration, communication, and presentation skills.
- Mission-Driven: Passionate about Discovery Education's vision to transform teaching and learning (experience in education or ed-tech industry a plus)
- Self-Motivation and Self-Starter: Driven self-starter with the ability to do what needs to be done without being micromanaged. Ability to manage/prioritize multiple tasks, proactively manage numerous projects, and prioritize competing timelines; demonstrate a problem solving / solution-oriented approach
- Leadership: Demonstrate exceptional leadership; strong work ethic driven by a sense of urgency, organization skills, and ability to inspire others to act and fulfill Discovery Education’s mission
- Collaborative: Ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. Team builder, not turf builder
- Hustle: The courage and confidence to work hard and with passion; committed to getting the job done; sustain effort in the face of adversity. Maintain consistency and focus over time with a positive “never give up” attitude
- Learning Orientation: Always willing to learn something new, not rigid in beliefs or expectations
- Focus on Diversity: Have a demonstrated ability to understand, accept and engage with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Sense of Humor: Because we all need to laugh sometimes
- Legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Education is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery Education is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.