An industry (and opportunity) like no other
Responsible for enabling over 90% of global trade, maritime touches every part of our lives. Quite simply, without commercial ships, half the world would freeze, and half the world would starve.
The shipping industry is also responsible for a significant proportion of the global climate change crisis, and therefore a substantial proportion of the solutions that are so urgently needed. More than three percent of global carbon dioxide emissions can be attributed to ocean-going ships. This is an amount comparable to major carbon-emitting countries.
Following a decade of rapid growth, StratumFive now services in excess of 12,000 vessels. As a leading maritime tech company, our software assists operators and Captains in executing their voyages safely, securely, and efficiently, with minimal environmental impact. - epitomised by our award winning Podium5 - A Voyage Informatics Platform.
StratumFive also plays a critical role in protecting the safety of seafarers, cargo, and the marine environment, by providing expert voyage advisory services directly to the vessel via our new 24/7 New York meteorological operations centre.
Working in the maritime industry is unique, exciting and rewarding. With the sector expected to double in size to $3trn by 2030, StratumFive is looking for the next generation of innovators and problem solvers to join our journey and take pride in helping shape the future of our planet.
About our Business and Product
As UX Designer, you will be working every day with a unique blend of experienced professionals including Ship owners, Captains, Engineers, meteorologists, naval architects. and cutting edge technologist to solve real-world problems that includes but not limited to:
- tracking the instantaneous movements of the global fleet of over 100K vessels a day
- empower ship captains obtain and visualize up-to-date weather forecasts to better plan their routes and manage the vessel's operation
- enable commercial shipping companies to analyze their vessel's daily fuel consumption to improve efficiency and reduce environmental impact
- provide meaningful and actionable insight about every vessel in our platform
Job Role and Description
As UX/UI Designer, you will play an instrumental role in the functionality, shape, and look and feel of our product. Working closely with the Product Team and C-Suite, you will be a driving force that ensures our roadmap of features and functionality is delivered with an emphasis on usability and user experience.
You will demonstrate strong leadership qualities, possess excellent communication skills, enjoy collaborating within a cross-discipline team of domain experts, an appetite for learning complex concepts, terms, and domain knowledge, and most importantly are excited by working for a maritime technology company.
Salary Range: £40K to £50K annual
- Work closely with the senior management to develop new features for the company's suite of products
- Develop wireframes, prototypes, and task flows based on user needs
- Communicate design ideas, concepts, specifications to developers
- Conduct concept and usability testing and gather feedback
- Find creative ways to solve UX problems (e.g. usability, findability)
- Ensure consistent UX across browser, tablet, and mobile devices
- Assist in the creation of marketing collateral
- Keep abreast of competitor products and industry trends
- Conduct user research and testing
- Learn, embrace, and understand the Maritime Industry
- Proven experience as a UX or UI designer (3+ years)
- Strong portfolio of design projects that include SaaS webapps
- Attention to detail ("almost OCD" about design and consistency)
- Self-managed and organized
- Analytical/ business mind
- Problem-solving aptitude
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Ability to work effectively in a remote environment, across time-zones; including experience presenting work to team members and stakeholders remotely and/or asynchronously
- Familiarity with interaction design and information architecture
- A genuine "can do" attitude
- See challenges as opportunities more than obstacles
- Believe in iteration over perfection
- Would rather spend an extra 25 minutes of your day to hand-off completed job rather than delay the whole team the next morning
- Would see a missing detail in a specification as a chance to be self-directed rather than the chance to put the task on-hold
What’s in it for you?
We believe we offer an appealing work life balanced package to attract and retain the most motivated team players. Aside from a competitive salary, we also offer a range of unique additional benefits:
- Up to 33 days annual leave
- Flexible work-location from office, home or “roam”
- Regular internal hackathon events
- Department sponsored recreational holidays
- Company sponsored continuous professional development
- Company supported personal challenges.