The Scratch Foundation’s mission is to provide all children, from all backgrounds, with opportunities to imagine, create, and share with new technologies – so they can shape the world of tomorrow.
Scratch has become the world’s largest coding community for kids. With Scratch, kids can create their own interactive stories, games, and animations -- and share them with one another in an active online community. In the past year, more than 20 million children created projects with Scratch.
After being developed and supported at MIT for more than 15 years, Scratch recently spun out of MIT and into the Scratch Foundation, now relocated to a new headquarters in Boston. This transition is designed to support the continued growth and long-term sustainability of Scratch as a free, open, creative platform for children around the world.
A generalist designer who will collaborate on designing and maintaining a holistic user experience and brand that empowers creativity and expression for everyone.
- Execute design process at every stage to deliver experiences within the Scratch product
- Maintain and develop consistency in interface and experience design across Scratch products and platforms
- Advocate for user and brand experiences which are inclusive, accessible, and welcoming
- Collaborate on developing Scratch brand guidelines and ensure brand consistency across platforms and mediums
Design Process Steward
- Proactively seek and incorporate feedback on design direction and execution
- Help shape Design Team processes to improve internal workflow and normalize team-wide design process and culture
User & Community Advocate
- Gather user research to inform design decisions and iterate on user research practices
- Participate in workshops that play test prototypes for feedback
- Keep up-to-date with the Scratch online community and broader ecosystem to advocate for user needs and identify opportunities for inclusivity
- Collaborate across teams and disciplines to refine and iterate on current experiences, as well as explore new experiences
- Support design and production of learning resources, outreach collateral, and event/promotional materials
- Provide design support, feedback, and consulting across the broader team
Key Qualifications (Skills and Experience)
- Passion for designing creative/expressive experiences and solving unique problems
- Experience designing interfaces for the web, responsive environments, and across platforms
- Experience designing for print and managing production
- Experience wireframing and prototyping user experiences
- Strong sense of systems-oriented design
- Strong interest in using inclusive research processes to inform design decisions
- Experience working with a project/product manager
- Passion for learning new skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience working with design software including Sketch, InVision, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop
- Degree in visual design or four years’ experience
- U.S work authorization required
- Experience creating iconographic systems, illustrations, and/or motion graphics
Join the Scratch Team! We’re seeking curious and motivated people to join our growing team of educators, designers, and engineers who work together in a playful, creative environment. We strongly value diversity, collaboration, and respect in the workplace.
To apply, please email your portfolio of design work, cover letter, and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org (include “Designer” in the subject line).
The Scratch Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Scratch welcomes people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities. We especially encourage historically marginalized identities to apply.