Senior Product Designer
Mark43’s mission is to empower communities and their governments with new technologies that improve the safety and quality of life for all. We build powerful, scalable, and elegant software that sets a new standard for the tools upon which our first responders rely. Our users are diverse, and we are therefore committed to embracing diversity of thought and experience within our team.
Senior Product Designers at Mark43 define the form and functionality of our products. They craft products, systems, workflows, and individual interface details. They conduct user research and contribute to iteration of product strategy. They take a role in determining design processes, teach design thinking to others, collaborate with cross-functional teams, and share information across the company about how people use the things we build.
The Design team works to not only meet complex business goals but to also innovate in our space. We design for direct users in law enforcement agencies and indirect users in the communities those agencies serve. We think hard about the potential impact of our software and have a meaningful voice in how the product should (or shouldn't) be built.
What You’ll Do
If you were part of our team, here are some things you would have done last week:
- Worked on designs for a feature that recommends firefighting units to emergency dispatchers based off the nature of the emergency and the proximity and availability of resources
- Collaborated on defining requirements for the replacement of the engine that powers our mapping features for emergency dispatchers and first responders
- Answered questions from engineers about designs for a bulk unit log-on feature they were implementing
- Interviewed dispatch users about their pain points around keyboard shortcuts
- Met with the design team to discuss team operations such as hiring plans and how and when we hold our meetings
- Attended sprint planning, daily stand-ups, sprint retrospective, and story pokering meetings for your project team
- Held design office hours for your product area, fielding questions from engineers, customer support associates, technical writers, and more
- Met with an engineer to review your early designs for a text-to-911 feature and determine their feasibility
- Met with the design team to provide each other feedback on works-in-progress
- Met with your product manager to discuss the roadmap and vision for your product area
- Worked with other designers on building out our products’ pattern libraries
- Watched a presentation with other designers over lunch about combating bias in machine learning
What You’ll Need
We’re looking for designers with 4+ years of professional product design experience, including deep and demonstrable expertise in interface design. Our products are visually dense and operationally complex, and are used almost exclusively by power users – so experience designing for professional tools, enterprise software, or information management systems is a big plus!
People who thrive on our team also tend to share the following characteristics:
- Humble, open, and curious. You recognize that no one is perfect and you will often be wrong, and you’re excited about listening and learning being a big part of your job.
- Attentive, active listeners. You’re interested in what others have to say and illustrate your interest with your actions.
- Enthusiastic collaborators. You understand that the best outcomes are achieved through shared ownership, and seek to spread knowledge and expand participation rather than restrict it.
- Comfortable with uncertainty. You know that sometimes problems and situations can’t be simplified or fully understood, and are at ease working within this type of haziness.
- Passionate about personal growth. You view mistakes as opportunities for learning, and want to grow as a designer, colleague, and person.
Our design team is based in New York, but this position is open to fully remote candidates, so please apply if you feel like you’d fit in, regardless of your location.