User Experience Researcher
Taptap Send is a VC-backed (including by Reid Hoffman) venture focused on global social impact. We’re rapidly growing and a great place for those looking for both impact and a fast-paced tech startup environment. Read more about the journey in Reid Hoffman’s words.
Our product is an app-based solution that lets immigrants send money back home to emerging markets instantly and at very low prices. Since launching in summer 2018, we’ve already moved tens of millions of dollars and reached tens of thousands of customers. We’re live in seven European countries, and we support payments into Senegal, Mali, Guinea, Ghana, Ivory Coast and Cameroon, with lots more countries launching soon.
Global remittances account for over $500 billion annually, most of which moves back into developing countries. But the market is dominated by traditional services that are expensive, can take days to arrive, and have limited reach in rural areas. We're helping people to send that money instantly and securely at a fraction of the cost.
In addition to Reid Hoffman, we are backed by Canaan, Flourish Ventures, Helios and others. Our team is based across London, New York and Paris and we pride ourselves on hiring exceptional talent -- our team members come from a wide variety of top-tier tech companies, professional services firms, and industry leaders, including Twitter, Yahoo, Amazon, McKinsey, Bain & Co, KPMG, Cravath, and Vodafone.
To continue our rapid growth, we're looking to bring on people who are passionate about our mission and excited to work in a small start-up environment. We have competitive salary and stock options and great benefits, and we were recently rated one of the best companies to escape to by Escape the City's "Escape 100".
You will report to and support Taptap Send’s CEO / co-founder and focus on understanding our customers’ needs, deepening understanding (and empathy) across the team, proposing specific product solutions and prototyping / testing. You will do this by spending significant time with our diaspora communities to conduct primary research to understand our users’ behaviors, preferences, motivations and broader social dynamics. This will include designing, implementing and analyzing surveys, ethnography, logs analysis, and so on, with the ultimate goal of delivering the most value and impact for our customers. In other words, your role will be central to understanding our customers, which is at the core of everything we do. Time allowing, additional special projects for the CEO may be incorporated into the role.
An ideal candidate for the role will have a deep understanding or ethnographic / qualitative and quantitative research methods, experience with diaspora communities, a passion for social change, and an ability to communicate effectively from the board room to the corner store.
- Several years experience in a top private, academic or public sector org
- Experience within User Experience, applied research, or product research
- Degree in Anthropology, Ethnography, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Psychology, Sociology, Behavioral Economics or a related field (experience can substitute)
- Exceptional communication (written, oral and powerpoint) and interpersonal skills
- Emotional maturity to handle delicate subjects that will arise in this role
- Ability to work independently and juggle competing priorities, including across teams
- Extreme ownership mindset with the ambition and resilience to win
- Intermediate analytics required (e.g. Excel modeling to analyze data); bonus points for SQL and regression analytics
- A desire for giving and receiving direct, candid feedback
- Passion for social change and spending time with diaspora communities
- Willingness to travel and spend in-person time with these communities during COVID
- Fluency in English and French
- Competitive salary (based on experience)
- Generous vacation policy
- Flexible hours
- Weekly team lunch
- Regular team events
- Professional development opportunities (e.g. language lessons, trainings, etc.)
- Buy whatever tech equipment you need
- No formal dress code