Background on us
HER is the world’s largest community of lesbian, bisexual and queer people. We’re empowering womxn and queer folx by giving them a space to explore and express their identity. Our app community is almost 6 million people strong in 100+ countries. We’re YC alum, funded by leading investors and we’re hiring top talent for our San Francisco office to help continue our growth. We’re a diverse team with a lot of gay in the day-to-day. We are a small but mighty team, that focuses on strong execution in a fast-paced and highly fluid environment.
We are looking for a full-time Product Designer. In this role, you will collaborate with our Head of Product, Data Scientist and Engineering team from discovery to delivery and iteration. Your primary focus will be on the HER iOS and Android apps, helping to drive the user experience for queer womxn. You’ll be at the forefront of this fast moving team and making our customers happy will be your primary mission.
Product Designer - Key Roles and Responsibilities
The Product Designer will be responsible for 5 key areas:
1. Product Orientation
- Deep understanding of our user base: queer womxn, LGBTQ community
- Understand the unique problems they face, how we will solve them, and the value we bring to them.
- Your success will be measured by the success of key metrics within the product. You will work closely with our Data Scientist to understand user behavior, AB Test performance, revenue-drivers and more.
2. Holistic Experience Design
- How will we delight? How gay can we take our app? How can we make our onboarding experience more effective? What will motivate users to have a higher level of commitment to the product, etc.
- Use your tool of choice to create prototypes at different levels of fidelity to illustrate and validate a concept before using engineering resources to build it.
4. User Testing
- Get into a weekly cadence to validate/refine ideas, collect new insights, and to asses the value of an idea or prototype before shipping it.
- Work with Product Team and Engineering to run AB Tests and measure their performance.
5. Interaction and Visual Design on both iOS and Android
- Visual Design: composition, typography, iconography, incorporating brand strategy, create and maintain a style guide.
- Interaction: underlying conceptual models, task flows, control layouts.
- Create simple experiences that support complex problems.
What we’re looking for in the Product Design role:
- 3 - 5 years designing consumer mobile experiences.
- A strong visual aesthetic and experience designing within brand guidelines as well as collaborating with the design team to evolve those guidelines to move HER’s products in new and bold directions.
- A passion for design and continual experimentation, iteration and optimization.
- A strong sense of ownership.