About the Company
At Silk + Sonder, we believe in redefining self-help to self-investment because it’s the lowest risk with the highest reward. We’re building solutions to make daily self-care easy, approachable and fun for modern women, from the comfort of their homes. Our first product - a guided, self-care monthly planner and journal subscription service is transforming the way women reflect, rejuvenate and achieve through the therapeutic power of pen to paper today as well as data and community tomorrow. Through personalization, accountability, and accessibility, we are committed to making mental wellness a proactive affair, and catalyzing positive change and fulfillment in our customers’ lives no matter what setback or milestone they face.
We are looking for a creative, experienced Product Designer who’s excited to make women’s daily self-care and mental wellness practices easy through a top-notch web and mobile digital experience. You should be well-versed in Web and iOS native application design, UI/UX, branding, and iconography and comfortable working in agile environments.
Please note - this role requires receptiveness to feedback, ability to create and iterate on multiple design concepts using standard guidelines, and bring an MVP to life.
You will be working alongside the Founder & CEO, a former software engineer and product manager for Goldman Sachs, Stitch Fix, The Muse, and Fueled. As one of our first full-time hires, you will be instrumental in paving the way for company culture, which means being open and honest about your working style and needs.
- Work closely and iteratively with product and engineers to create the first version of Silk + Sonder’s digital platform.
- Own end-to-end design process of new iOS and web features and integrations.
- Lead design direction based off of product problems whilst abiding by UI/UX principles.
- Set Silk + Sonder’s standard brand and design guidelines for future design team members to follow.
- Partner closely with product, engineers, and marketing to build, test, and ship solutions.
- Prototype and design multiple concepts quickly, validate with customers, and iterate.
- Set foundation for Silk + Sonder’s design team culture and hire talented designers who enjoy making functional, gorgeous designs.
- Deliver high-quality, polished, and seamless designs with top-notch user experience.
- Work cross-functionally with product, data analysts, and marketing to set design priorities for future roadmap.
- Experience - you’ve played an integral role in launching consumer-facing mobile and web flows and features. Ideally, you have 3-5 years of creative experience.
- Excellent Track Record - you have an exceptional portfolio of shipped products that are beautiful, functional, and address problems that you can speak to.
- Beyond The Box Thinker - you know how to create multiple concepts for possible design directions without compromising on industry standards and trends. You should be well versed in coming up with designs for community, data visualization, activity feeds, gamification, and email.
- Deep Expertise - you have strong skills in Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, Figma, Zeplin, etc. and understand modern iOS, Android, web, React Native and OS X interface conventions.
- Deeply Curious + Answer Seeker - you keep up with the latest design trends (i.e. Apple’s Human Interface / Google’s Material Guidelines) and know when to apply best practices and when to break the mold.
- Excited by Self-Help / Self-Care - usually, we can let this one slide. If you find the problem boring, designing for the use cases will get boring,
- Creative to a Fault - just kidding, that’s never possible! You should have a natural eye for good aesthetics, patterns, colors, typography and not be afraid to play with motion / animation or inject alternate creative solutions when appropriate.
- Fearless + Responsible Self-Starter – you should think out-of-the-box and be eager to bring good ideas to life. You should be self-motivated and self-accountable and be willing ot push back on design decisions when appropriate.
- User Obsessed – you naturally connect with people and will succeed in being responsive and empathetic with our users.
- Open and Effective Communicator + Team Player – you’re willing to ask intelligent questions, challenge status-quo, and collaborate like it’s second nature. You take feedback well and know how to apply it to your work and have excellent oral / written communication.
- Direct impact on improving women’s relationships with themselves as well as with others
- Collaborative, fast-paced team environment that offers ownership and autonomy alongside working with incredibly smart, authentic people
- Competitive compensation + equity participation
- Flexible work-from-anywhere-anytime policy (we love world travelers, homebodies, and everything in between as long as things get done!)
- Unlimited vacation + company holidays
- Introspective, wellness experiences and retreats