Senior UX/Product Designer
Help us make Gruntwork delightful!
We give software teams a complete, world-class cloud infrastructure that lets them go to prod in days. Typically, the process of launching prod infrastructure in the cloud is just awful. It takes months of tedious work, hundreds of thousands of dollars, and often results in poorly maintained code and anti-patterns in the end. We call our company "Gruntwork" because we take away this Gruntwork for our clients so that they can focus on the parts of their software that are unique to them.
We are 100% remote, ~15 people, profitable, growing (even during COVID!) and fully bootstrapped with no debt and no investors. Our small company works with both startups and name companies like Toyota, Adobe, and the US House of Representatives. We also care a lot about humans.
What's the opportunity?
We're looking for a Senior Product Designer who can help us build out a SaaS platform for our customer experience. You'll dive in deep to how we work, the structure of our product, how devs think, and the steps needed to launch an app in the cloud. Then we'll work together to craft an intuitive end-to-end experience for our customers.
We also have a public website that needs updating, so you'll take the lead on that as well. You'll be our first full-time designer so you will set the design direction for the entire company, working directly with the founders.
What skills are we looking for?
- Product sensibility. When we present our product vision, we'll look to you to offer opinions, insights, and methodologies to help us translate that vision into a fantastic product.
- Design skill. At the end of the day, the designs you create should look great and be easy to use. Our hope is that you can make our users smile.
- Domain expertise. We don't expect you to have a complete vision for our product on day 1, but we're looking for someone who either already understands our domain (DevOps, CI/CD, Infrastructure as Code, AWS), or who feels comfortable ramping up on it.
- Bonus: HTML/CSS. If you can roll up your sleeves and implement your own designs in HTML/CSS, you can help us make sure that our final products carries out the vision of your design.
What time zones do we work in?
Although we're a remote company, we only hire candidates between the time zones of GMT-7 (San Francisco) and GMT+2 (Berlin). This means you'll never be separated by more than 9 hours from your colleagues and never pressured to work at crazy hours just to get your work done.
For this role, you must be in a time zone between GMT-7 and GMT-3. We prefer to hire candidates located in the USA or Canada, but are open to hiring in any country within those time zones.
What are the benefits?
- Above-Market Salary. We compute your salary formulaically, using as inputs the average salary for your job title in New York City, the Gruntwork multiplier (currently 1.45) and the cost of living in your home city relative to New York City as reported by numbeo.com. We aim to systematically pay above market while also paying fairly and transparently.
- Profit-Sharing Bonus. We set aside a pot of money at the end of each year based on profits and distribute bonuses according to a formula that uses as inputs your level within the company and the length of your tenure at the company.
- Performance Bonus. We give performance-based bonuses of $5,000 - $15,000 as often as once a quarter, depending on your performance.
- Progressive Equity. We grant progressive equity to all new Grunts.
- Medical Insurance. We offer high-quality plans, including some with no deductible through JustWorks.com. We cover 80% of your health insurance costs and 55% of those of your family.
- Dental Insurance. We offer high-quality plans and pay for 100% of the cost.
- Vision Insurance. We offer high-quality plans and pay for 100% of the cost.
- FSA and HSAs. We don't contribute to these accounts, but we do offer them as an option.
- 401(k). We contribute 3% of your salary to your 401(k), regardless of how much you contribute yourself.
- Disability insurance. If you get disabled, we have a policy that will pay out a portion of your salary.
- Hardware budget. We'll buy you a brand new 16" Apple MacBook Pro upon joining. It will be owned by you, not the company.
- Personal Budget. We'll give you a personal budget of $500/month to spend on improving your health, productivity, or knowledge.
- Minimum Vacation. We require that you take at least 4 weeks of vacation per year.