£40k – £60k
We are looking for a Product Designer to join our growing team. We are expanding our suite of products and are looking for someone to help us define and design the features that create value for our users. You will report into our Head of Design, with an opportunity to shape key products and features within our roadmap as we build the future.
Converge is using sensor data and AI to digitise the construction industry, making it safer, more efficient, and more sustainable. By deploying sensors onto sites, factories, and logistics chains, and combining their data with 3d models, project plans, and economic data, we are enabling the industry to build the future.
Despite being one of the biggest industries in the world, contributing 10-15% of world GDP, construction is the second least digitised industry leading to tiny margins and huge productivity problems, as well as being a big greenhouse-gas producer. Digitisation of the physical reality of construction is the only way to realise the efficiency and sustainability gains the industry needs.
Converge was started five years ago by two Cambridge physicists, and since then we have deployed our technology onto two hundred sites in the UK, Hong Kong, and Singapore. We are still a small team of 25 people, with a global outlook (17 nationalities, offices in London and Hong Kong), and we are looking for smart, intrinsically motivated people to join us on our mission.
About the role
As a Product Designer, you will be part of our product team, where your role will be to discover how our technology can support and completely redefine the construction process. This means: translating user needs into clear design concepts; creating flows, prototypes, and high-fidelity visuals for product features; collaborating closely with our engineers to ensure a high-quality implementation; and, ultimately, creating a magical product in concert with the rest of the team.
You will have responsibility and ownership over the design of simple and intuitive user experiences for new product features as we create the products to increase productivity and sustainability in the construction industry. You’ll work directly with our product team and development teams to ship features that enhance the value our products create for the business and our customers in a fast-paced, complex environment.
- Apply your design thinking and execution skills throughout the entire product lifecycle.
- Own the solution process, create design concepts (wireframes, prototypes, information architecture), iterate quickly to validate.
- Communicate your work succinctly and effectively, aligning the outcome across different functions in the organisation.
- Conduct user research and customer interviews, organise and present the findings.
- Take a data-driven approach, running user testing and user research, looking for user behaviour patterns and provide valuable insights to the Product team.
- Run A/B and MVT tests, constantly auditing and revising our assumptions and previous designs.
- Produce wireframes, UX flows, low fidelity mock-ups, interactive prototypes, and high-fidelity visual design for the web and apps.
- Deliver beautiful final visuals and interaction designs.
- Participate in design team-wide initiatives (hiring, workshops, design system, improving design tools, team reviews, sharing, and brainstorms).
You should have:
- 3yrs+ experience designing digital products and services, including user experience, interaction and user interface design), delivering solutions that have elevated customer and user experience. B2B experience is a bonus.
- Experience handling complexity, reducing complex problems down to valuable and efficient solutions.
- A general understanding of how design impacts development, along with a knack for constructing dynamic, interactive designs that are technically feasible.
- Experience in user research and usability testing best practice, specifically in regards to user-centred design.
- Experience in hypothesis-driven design, A/B testing, and defining quick and inexpensive ways of learning and iterating.
- Experience with Sketch, Figma, XD, and InVision.
- A portfolio that reflects your strengths in both UX and visual design skills (end-to-end product design).
- Mastery over your design process and methodology, with the desire and ability to help shape ours.
- (Bonus) A good understanding of the challenges of working on products that have both digital and physical elements.
- (Bonus) experience launching entire products at global scale.
- (Bonus) experience designing for B2B audiences with complex problems.
Character traits and cultural fit
We have four key behaviours that are important to our culture at Converge:
- Outcome focussed: outcomes are more important than outputs; results are more important than activities; done is better than perfect.
- Scientific: be wrong and learn from it; always challenge your own beliefs, and others’; test and experiment with ideas frequently; be curious and ask questions.
- Collaborative: always give the benefit of the doubt; bring energy to meetings and discussions; seek out and give direct feedback; no question is a stupid question.
- Responsible: step up rather than waiting for others; commit and deliver; own your mistakes; create the future, do not wait for it to happen.
It is very important to us that anyone joining the team is aligned with us on these. In addition to these, the following character traits are important to us for this role:
- You are an excellent and engaging communicator.
- Self-directed and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- You exercise confidentiality and good judgement in complex and sensitive situations.
- You are intrinsically motivated: mission and impact are important to you.
- You are excited by big challenges, and by creating something new.
- You are happy to learn new things, and accept when others know more.
- You are data-driven but know when to trust your gut instinct.