We’re looking for a well-rounded designer to join our team in Boston who is interested in growing their design and consulting skill-set over time. As a designer at thoughtbot, you collaborate with developers and clients to turn ideas into great products that people love to use, and help grow successful businesses. We've successfully partnered with Tile and SplitFit just to name a few, with more amazing and exciting projects in the works!
thoughtbot works with companies in every step of the process to help identify and solve problems. We lead and participate in product design sprints, build high-quality apps and then deploy them. We use emerging and effective technologies and methods both internally and on client projects. We believe there is always a better way to do our work, and we want to find and share it with as many people as possible.
- You value design and employ a broad set of design tools using the best for the project
- You communicate user flow, interaction, and motion and know which tool to use depending on the scope and phase of the project.
- You seek out new tools, try them out and assess whether the broader team should use them. You demonstrate and articulate an understanding of layout, typography and visual hierarchy in web and mobile interfaces.
- You see code as a design tool. You understand that your designs need to be carried through to the platform that they are designed for. For web applications, this means implementing your designs with HTML & CSS, maintaining a clean markup and style, and working with our Developers in Git.
- You can examine how these same implementation principles apply to mobile, service design and experience design.
You pride yourself on being a good teammate:
- You foster a highly-collaborative and inclusive design process and workplace.
- You live out and uphold our thoughtbot purpose with Design Team values, actively shaping these values to make are they continue to align with the entire team.
You think strategically:
- You research to gain understanding, conduct user interviews and usability tests and document ethnographic research or other methods, so you can synthesize well and craft actionable steps from it.
- You take responsibility for the user experience for your products.
- You think interactively and holistically about how to release design in small pieces and regularly look for opportunities to validate the team’s ideas.
You are a leader:
- You take initiative to lead rather than waiting for someone else to
- You describe yourself as a self-starter and take part in our office goals, lead a group of people through interactive design exercises, and in the design community by writing, participating in online forums and networks, and attending meetups and conferences.
You have experience with consulting:
- You communicate well and show your work often
- You articulate design decisions well and can give constructive and impactful feedback to others
- You know to support clients through learning more about design, validating products and through difficult situations or tough conversations.
- You communicate complex ideas clearly and succinctly, helping to educate the client.