At ActBlue Technical Services, we build and maintain a powerful online fundraising platform for Democratic campaigns, progressive organizations, and nonprofits working to create a better future. Our mission is to put power in the hands of small-dollar donors by making it easier for grassroots supporters to make their voices heard and by helping thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build people-powered movements.
As a product designer with ActBlue Technical Services, you'll be an essential contributor to our platform’s user experience. In the 2018 election cycle alone, our platform handled over 40M contributions made from 5M donors.
Our engineering and product organization is made up of 40+ people (and growing!). We’re organized into cross-functional teams of 3-6 people with clear areas of complementary focus. Teams operate independently in alignment with the broader organizational goals. In this role, you will get to work with agency and in concert with your peer Designers, Product Managers, and Engineers.
You will be contributing to our inclusive environment, fostering a culture that brings out the best in yourself and your colleagues. Your manager will be your champion and coach and will help ensure you are able to grow as an individual while you contribute to the excellence and advancement of our platform.
We offer autonomy, responsibility, and a team of amazing in-office and remote colleagues, plus generous benefits including an employer-sponsored 401k contribution plan, a flexible time off policy, and a competitive professional development stipend.
This role is for a Product Designer who will work closely with our Design Team and other product teams to accomplish impactful work. The mission of our Design Team is to advocate for, and facilitate the creation of, usable, accessible, and consistent experiences for all users of ActBlue’s tools.
What you’ll be doing
- Designing and helping to build new features that support a variety of end-users (including campaigns and organizations, donors, and users of our internal tools)
- Acting as an advocate for our end-users and encouraging a people-focused design mentality throughout the software development life cycle
- Working closely with other Product Designers, Engineers, and the rest of the Design Team to grow, document, and maintain our design system
- Articulating and helping define our design approach as well as the high-level goals of a project
- Helping to conduct research to better understand user data
- Collaborating with other engineers to ship features and enhancements while learning (or mentoring) along the way
- Helping to build a collaborative, inclusive team culture
What you’ll be working with
- Our design stack: Sketch, Abstract, Invision
- Our tech stack: Storybook, Styled Components, React, and other modern front-end technologies
Please note that experience and expertise in these specific tools and technologies are not necessarily required. We care more about your problem-solving skills, general design competencies, and adaptability.
What you’ll bring
- A strong portfolio that articulates your process and the way you think about your work
- Experience working with design systems and component-based design
- Great communication skills and the ability to present and talk about your work effectively
- Comfort doing research, sketching wireframes, creating high-fidelity prototypes, and collaborating with engineers to see a project through completion
- Experience designing for accessibility across all browsers and devices
- The ability to design features that are performant and technically feasible
- The drive to use and evolve existing patterns and components to create the best possible user experience
- A desire to expand and improve technical skills through mentorship (HTML, CSS, React, etc.)
- Comfort collaborating with a distributed team of many remote colleagues
- An inclusive, generous working style: You like to mentor, collaborate, and elevate your team by supporting your peers
Nice to have, but not required:
- Experience with and enthusiasm for collaborating with engineers and contributing to UI code (including CSS)
- A track record of curiosity in adopting new technologies or methodologies and bringing back what you’ve learned to improve your team’s work
Our design principles
- We believe that ideas are more important than tools or technologies.
- We believe in humanizing our work by designing for accessibility and inclusion.
- We believe in high-level thinking as well as being detail-oriented; we focus on pixel-level details and microinteractions while also considering how details can ripple out at scale.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
You can work in our Somerville, MA HQ; our satellite office in Portland, OR; or remotely from anywhere in the US (CA, MD, NY, RI, TX, UT, and WI are preferred).
We’re a growing team passionate about changing our country. Each and every one of us is fully committed to our mission, and we are looking for new team members who match our passion and are ready to dive in! If you're interested, send your resume and a link to your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org!
We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes commuter benefits; fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance; an employer-sponsored 401k contribution plan; a generous professional development stipend; three months paid parental leave for all genders, adoptions included; and a flexible time off policy.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue cannot at this time sponsor work visas.