UI Motion Designer
The TL;DR version
This is a role where you can have an impact on the lives of millions of people every day.... Help families take care of each other. Inspire makers toward their next culinary creation. Provide peace-of-mind to the multi-tasking parent. Delight people in their daily lives.
Our global product design teams focus on the digital experiences found both on the appliances and connected IOT mobile devices for incredible reach. The scope also extends through all our major brands (including Kitchen-Aid, JennAir, and Maytag) providing great diversity. User Interface with motion experts and User Experience design teams work hand-in-hand to set the vision and deliver our products.
This position is currently in our headquarters in southwestern Michigan. We are in a vacation area on the Lake Michigan coast that offers low cost-of-living, great schools, wonderful beaches and outdoor activities. We also have a Chicago office 90 miles away that could be an option for the right candidate.
The FULL version
Whirlpool Digital Product Design
We are looking for a talented Motion Designer who can create engaging and brand-appropriate animations to join our User Experience and User Interface Design teams.
You will be responsible to deliver branded 2D and 3D motion graphics and animations to be applied across multiple digital appliance and mobile platforms. You will be expected to create both initial concepts and deliver the right assets for each project, working in symbiosis with Visual and UX designers during all the UI development. Your responsibility will be to successfully work with developers, project managers, and other internal teams to get your intent into production. You will have the chance to work with other talented motion designers in an environment that fosters a culture of curiosity, creativity, craftsmanship, innovative problem-solving, and cross-disciplinary collaboration.
We expect uncompromising respect, honesty, and integrity. Energy, passion for design and usability, initiative, commitment, and visionary leadership are keenly appreciated - and rewarded.
All applicants must provide design portfolio showcasing a variety of digital projects (roles and responsibilities on each project must be clearly stated in the portfolio).
- Create brand-compelling and inspiring 2D and 3D animations for Whirlpool connected home appliance products and services that stand out in the marketplace.
- Collaborate with other visual graphic and motion graphic designers to produce cohesive motion packages across multiple platforms but distinctive for different brands.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members throughout the design phase to address iterative feedback and to ensure optimal design execution.
- Generate assets based on visual comps and flows.
- Apply motion graphics best practices to drive innovation and ensure visual solutions are highly scalable across multiple applications
- Create simple interactive simulations demonstrating the motion intent to the project team.
- Work with software developers to optimize the motion elements for different platforms, to provide guidance and validate implementation.
- Audit early software builds to ensure the team’s vision is being properly applied.
- Foster the future: Actively seek and share digital inspiration (creative, technology, general digital and motion trends).
- Bachelor Degree
- 2+ years of industry experience in designing & creating digital product or mobile user experiences.
- Experience using motion design tools such as Adobe After Effects, Invision, Flinto, Principle or Cinema 4D.
- Degree in Graphic Design or Motion Design
- Ability to take brand books, style guides, storyboards, scripts and translate them into impactful motion graphics.
- Ability to create basic interactive simulations demonstrating the motion intent.
- Knowledge of Adobe CS and other graphic tools such as Sketch, Figma, Abstract, Zeplin.
- Strong understanding of Android and IOS, capability of coding .
- Expertise in design basics including Typography, Color Theory, and Layout across different form factors.
- Understanding and basic knowledge of usability and user centered design principles and methodologies.
- Strong written communication, and experience working with external development teams.
- Good communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the world’s leading major home appliance company, with approximately $21 billion in annual sales, 92,000 employees and 70 manufacturing and technology research centers in 2017. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, Jenn-Air, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world.
At Whirlpool Corporation, we believe that all people matter. Celebrating diversity and including thousands of perspectives empower us to create products that blend into every concept of home. Whirlpool Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.