Sr. Product Designer
We believe car buying should be fun, fair, and accessible to everyone. We’ve set out to transform an industry, using technology to bring transparency and convenience to the car buying process.
And we aren’t stopping there. We seek to bring that same openness and simplicity to car ownership too, with payments, maintenance, and insurance in one easy app. At Shift, we’re building the tools that empower people to buy, own, and sell the cars that make life go.
About the role:
Our Design team is working on all the interesting problems of growing a two-sided marketplace with the unique challenge of low-frequency, high-dollar purchases. Because we can’t rely on traditional marketplace strategies, we’re often tasked with creating innovative solutions to customer problems.
As a Product Designer at Shift you’ll partner with Product and Engineering to design an experience that builds customer confidence across web and mobile platforms. You’ll consider analytics and talk to customers to create a beautiful product that exceeds customer expectations and drives the business forward.
What you’ll do:
- Work through all phases of the design process to ship web and mobile products as well as the occasional brand or marketing project.
- Partner with Product Managers in conducting user interviews and testing prototypes to inform design decisions.
- Create user flows, wireframes, low-fidelity prototypes, and high-fidelity mock-ups.
- Clearly communicate your design decisions and the thinking behind them to the team and other stakeholders. Participate in weekly critiques with the Design team, sharing early and often.
- Collaborate with Product, Engineering, and Operations to ship high-quality features at scale.
What we ask for:
- 5+ years of product design experience with consumer products across web and mobile
- Excellent visual design skills
- A portfolio that tells the story of your work and demonstrates strong interface design
Nice to have:
- You have experience working at a startup
- You're experienced working on a team with strong design and consumer focus
- Front-end development skills
- Strong skills in illustration, photography, or animation
- Experience conducting your own user research
Our company depends on balance and equality — between buyers and sellers, among employees, and in our relationships with customers.
Our mission to evolve car ownership and transform an industry is a challenging one. It can only be achieved by a team of diverse problem-solvers — engineers, designers, business people — from the same broad demographics as our customers.
Why join now?
We’ve built a small but highly talented team backed by >$275 million in funding from investors like DFJ, Goldman Sachs, BMW, and Nissan. In October 2018 we announced a deep partnership and a $140m round led by the third largest auto retailer in the US, Lithia Motors. With strong product-market fit and a great business in California, the next two years will be focused on scaling the business nationally.
Shift is the Bay Area’s #1 seller of used cars with $150 million in cars sold per year. We’re serving most of California and are gearing up to scale to new markets. With a solid business model and no clear winner in our space yet, this is a hugely exciting time to join the team.