Senior Art Director
Let’s get one thing straight, we don’t let just anybody into our shop. You’ve gotta show us you’re a creativity-huffing, brand- revolutionizing, idea-cranking, high-fiving, nose-grinding freak of advertising. And it doesn’t hurt to smell nice.
Job summary:As part of the GCG team, our Senior Art Directors concept, develop and execute innovative and effective creative solutions for print, broadcast and digital projects that are cohesive and on strategy. You’ll collaborate closely with copywriters, creative directors, designers, illustrators, photographers, clients and the account team. In addition to your artistic and technical skills, we’ll tap your strategic and interpersonal abilities to help develop campaign strategies, goals and timelines as needed. And, of course, you’ll work with our interactive team, printers, production houses and other vendors to ensure everything comes to life as efficiently and beautifully as possible.
Above all, you’ll foster awesome creative and push boundaries/max the envelope/take it to the limit one more time.
- Create attractive, innovative and appropriate design solutions for a range of projects, including but not limited to, ads, logos, identity systems, websites, outdoor, direct mail, collateral, packaging, publications and trade shows
- Work with account and interactive teams to define creative needs, manage client expectations, budgets and project parameters to ensure accurate execution
- Ensure adherence to creative briefs, budgeted time and deadlines
- Regularly brainstorm individually or as part of creative team to produce concepts
- Select and monitor outside vendors and supervise print production; take responsibility for art-related quality of project
- Strategize and present creative ideas to clients
- Help supervise and nurture junior designers, while delegating work and responsibilities when necessary
- Manage relationships with vendors (e.g., animators, photographers, illustrators)
- Remain current on best practices, trends and technology developments in the print and digital media space and in client industries
- Help create an inviting, stimulating and easily accessible creative environment
- May be required to formally evaluate team members and provide appropriate input to HR processes
- Perform other tasks as assigned
Reports to: Creative Director
External relationships: Clients, Vendors
Education: B.A. degree in Graphic Design, Visual Communications, Fine Art, Advertising or other related discipline
Work experience: 5-7 plus years of design experience (agency experience mandatory); portfolio demonstrating professional experience
Work requirements:Overtime and travel required. May work some odd hours.
Knowledge and skill set requirements:
- Ridiculous drive and work ethic; zero regard for the word “can’t”
- Proven ability to concept and generate original creative ideas for an array of projects and a range of clients
- Solid experience creating designs optimized for both print and digital spaces
- Advanced skill in composition, typography, visual hierarchy, color and image manipulation
- Expert-level skill with the latest versions of Adobe Creative Suite
- In-depth knowledge of appropriate usage of Microsoft Office
- Understanding of print processes, techniques and opportunites to enhance projects via creative production
- Ability to build proper print mechanicals to avoid production delays and pitfalls
- Solutions-oriented attitude in both optimal and challenging situations
- High degree of organization with ability to deliver work in a timely fashion and meet scheduled deadlines
- Ability to learn quickly, produce in a fast-paced environment and work well under pressure
- Detail orientation with ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously to completion and follow-through to resolve any outstanding issues
- Adaptability to changing circumstances and requirements
- Positive attitude with ability to lead a team, establish good relationships and collaborate with other departments
- Ability to maintain good client relations and sales skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience with motion graphics a plus
- Front-end design experience with light HTML and CSS coding a plus
We offer a friendly and creative work environment with appropriate levels of tomfoolery, a competitive salary plus benefits, 401(k), paid time off, a festive holiday schedule and bottomless cups of coffee. So, are you ready to join our little guild of craftsmen? Okay, then. Sharpen your tools and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.