We're one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we're making homeownership simpler, faster - and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it's like to buy and own a home in this country, we're building things that don't exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we're one of Crain's "Best Places to work"
- We're #11 on Fortune's Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.'s 2019 "5000 Fastest-Growing Companies"
- We've secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We've recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire homebuying journey.
Design plays a massive role in achieving this. Mortgages are complicated and quite frankly, stale. As designers, our job is to take all this complexity, distill it down to its essence, and repackage it into something simple, intuitive, and enjoyable.
That's why we don't distinguish between UX, Visual, or Product Designers. Our designers are all of them - part business strategist, part user researcher, and 100% committed to creating an exceptional user experience in a space that sorely needs it.
The Role: Lead Designer
As a Lead Designer at Better, you will be a highly strategic, self-sufficient problem solver. You bring impeccable design taste, a meticulous attention-to-detail, and a passion for representing the user. You will help navigate the complexities of daily UX and service design problems, while helping push the boundary of what design means at Better. We're looking for Lead Designers who are excited by building something from scratch. As a Lead, that's what you'll do -- lead, define, and deliver work with tangible business value and real user impact. That means that you partner with Product Managers, Researchers, Engineers and other Designers to shape the overall vision and uphold the standards of the solution.
Collaboration and critique is at the core of everything we do. We believe that creating the best product experience requires intense collaboration, constant questioning, and a healthy level of challenge. The user is always our focus. So, we don't waste time presenting in Google Slides or Keynote. We prototype, test, and iterate -- early and often.
As a Lead Designer, you will help uphold and build on this approach. We're looking for someone to elevate the team, own user-first solutions to business problems, and always look for ways to simplify the experience.
What you bring:
- 6-8 years of experience shipping high-quality user experience solutions
- Proven experience leading designers, projects, and processes including insights, ideation, validation, and implementation
- An ability to blend craft and form -- a deep understanding of composition, balance, and layout with an appreciation for business and strategic needs
- Expertise developing and conveying ideas, data, and business concepts clearly in written and visual format
- Ability to provide a variety of approaches to problem-solving and product development
- Passion for design across digital products, service design, and brand development
- Meticulous attention to detail across applied to everything from strategic and creative direction to usability and pixel-level aesthetics
- Experience partnering with Engineers and Product Managers to ship work on time and scale in line with tech implementations/limits
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter attitude with no problem adapting or flexing on a daily basis
- Extensive experience iterating on products and services in market
- Ability to execute, lead, and oversee functional visual and interaction designs -- including layout, hierarchy, typography, motion, composition, UX, and UI applications
- Relentless desire to push your limits, critique your own work, and elevate the work of those around you
- Organization and analytical skills
- Experience working across web, iOS, and Android implementations
- Deep understanding of the rationale behind good versus bad user experience
- Expertise in Figma, Sketch, Adobe Suite, and Google Slides
- Self-sufficient prototyping skills in programs like Invision and Principle
What you'll do
- Continue to help build out our design system
- Lead a team of Designers and Writers through ideation, concepting, detailed design, prototyping (we don't present here) and final delivery
- Uncover interdependencies, trade-offs, and risks within a given project - making them visible and collaborating to resolve challenges early
- Collaborate with our Brand team to craft compelling stories through copy, video, animation, illustration, and photography
- Craft elegant complex end-to-end user flows for multiple scenarios and user archetypes
- Synthesize product and business goals into user-centric design solutions across multiple products and experiences
- Work with Product Managers and Engineers to set project KPIs, monitor its success, and optimize based on results
- Work with Designers and Product Managers to set timeline expectations and create project plans
- Work with Designers to prototype and envision future product features, including phased feature rollouts and short-term vs. long-term solutions based on engineering constraints
- Help define and iterate how our brand should be expressed across our product
- Work across teams to ensure we are utilizing both qualitative and quantitative insights into our design process and are clear about how they influence design decisions
- Partner with Product Managers, Engineers and Researchers right hand and you'll work closely to solve complex problems, find compromises and plan effectively
- Mentor fellow designers, encouraging them to take appropriate risks, and providing constructive support, feedback, and critique
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don't get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won't work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don't understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can't wait to leave the conversation and build it.