Director of Product Design
We're a community of designers, engineers, and product managers who are passionate about building quality software. While our environment is collaborative and relaxed, we build products that are well-considered and well-architected.
Postlight’s Product Design team is growing, and we’re looking to add another Director of Product Design to the team to work in conjunction with our current design leadership. The Director of Product Design guides and advocates for the Product Design team both internally and with clients. This key role will also help define product design at Postlight—establishing a balance between strategic thinking and product design best practices for day-to-day work and evangelizing that to the larger community.
You will support a skilled team of designers to help them excel in client work and meet professional goals. You will:
- Define the strategy for our product design team's growth and lead that team as their mentor and role model, providing feedback and guidance around all facets of the product design process
- Develop the vision of product design to align with the vision of the company both internally and with clients, with an ability to be clear and decisive
- Partner closely with engineering, product management, and our growth & partnerships teams to provide the product design perspective needed to develop aesthetic and practical product strategy for our clients
- Work closely with design leadership to cultivate new talent and grow the size of our design team
As a Director you will also be engaged in client work, primarily working on larger, more complex engagements as an individual contributor and/or design manager. More specifically, you will:
- Be a strong voice in evolving the product design workflow to best meet the goals of the client while developing clear and compelling user experiences
- Establish and reinforce design patterns and solutions for each client project with an emphasis on high-quality design from both yourself and your client team
- Collaborate closely with leadership from other departments within Postlight to establish tailored ways of working for each of our engagements to achieve success for our clients
Postlight is looking for a Director who has:
- A portfolio of design work that demonstrates a meticulous, thoughtful approach and attention to detail
- Worked at a product studio and/or agency before
- Conceived and iterated product features based on data, analytics, and strategy while keeping the user in mind
- Managed direct reports and led teams, with a proven ability to hire and develop talent
- Collaborated with senior engineers and product managers on complex projects
- A flexible approach to both leadership and design process to adapt to the needs of our various clients
Whether working on-site or with our remote employees, your communication skills will be as important as your technical ones. Collaborating across time zones requires constant, clear communication and coordination, via Slack, GitHub comments, documents, and frequent video conferences. Postlight is headquartered in New York City, but a third of our team works remotely. We know how to keep everyone on the same page, and so should you.
Your skillset will grow at Postlight. You will join a team excited about the problems they solve and the tools they use to solve them. We keep pace with the industry and are active participants in the open-source world. You will find yourself regularly growing in your career, using new tools and frameworks to solve new kinds of problems—with support from management and mentors.
Postlight is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.