Mercury is building banking for startups.
We want to power the next generation of companies that will shape American industry.
In 1954, in Columbus, Indiana, Eero Saarinen designed a bank with glass walls, no offices, and a completely open floor plan. It was surrounded by trees; the furniture was made by Herman Miller; the lobby flooring was thick, rustic brick. The bank was built with transparency and community at its core.
Since 1954, a lot of things have happened—Saarinen’s bank branch is now a conference center, people increasingly live on the internet, and it’s hard to think of a single bank that still applies design thinking to their product.
Mercury is a bank for tech startups. We believe building a bank in 2019 revolves around thoughtful design, and we’re looking for our first dedicated visual designer to help us.
- Create a unified visual language for Mercury across mediums, including marketing pages, web and mobile apps, emails, print, online ads, billboards, and marketing ephemera
- Create graphics for digital formats, like our website, and physical objects, like our debit cards, tote bags, and tea packages
- Work with product designers on UI patterns and interactions
- Use visual design to express our values and product philosophy
- Work on projects with a wide scope, from minute interactions and animations to whole pages of the website
- Take prosaic moments and turn them into something special with elegant design
- Have a certain wild visual flair
- Think about design systems, not just individual pages or embellishments
- Have experience designing visuals for web, mobile, and print
- Have an interest in learning about and working on product design
- Understand how to create clean layouts with a strong visual structure and hierarchy
- Believe in the beauty of utility and function
- Be able to tell complex stories with simple visuals
- Pull from a wide range of aesthetic references and be able to synthesize them into a single cohesive style
- Understand Mercury’s brand, voice, and aesthetic, and how they can be expressed through your design
- Be able to articulate and debate the reasoning behind your design decisions
- Have a love for language
We’re funded by Andreessen Horowitz, CRV, and other investors including SV Angel, Liquid2, Naval Ravikant (CEO of AngelList), Joshua Reeves (CEO of Gusto), Justin Kan (CEO of Atrium), and Roger Smith (Founder of Silicon Valley Bank).
Why work for Mercury?
We’re shaking up one of the least innovative, most powerful industries around, eliminating pain points faced by every startup, and filling a crucial missing piece in the tech ecosystem.
Building a bank from the ground up is a big project; the product is complex and cannot break, there are stringent regulations, and we’ll have to outcompete some of the largest, most entrenched corporations in the world. But overcoming these challenges means we’ll have built something that lasts.
Working on a lean, self-motivated team means autonomy, broad experience across projects, and seeing your contributions directly shape the product and impact users.
You’ll work on pieces of the product where you’ll make foundational decisions; starting from scratch requires careful thought, and your design choices will serve as the bedrock of future development.
Design is a fundamental differentiator between us and the rest of the market, so we invest heavily in making a quality product and will give you the resources to build something beautiful.
We try to think hard about how to make features that users love; see our blog post on our date picker for an example. Our goal is to be proud of what we’ve crafted.
- 401(K) matching
- Unlimited vacation policy (with mandatory minimum)
- 12-weeks parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Paid lunch
- Stocked kitchen
- With a great blender
- And a panini maker
- Custom equipment setup
- Book budget
- Record budget
- Wirecutter-recommended surge protectors
- Office with edgy black wooden floors
- Personalized callsign
- (Subjectively) cool t-shirts and jackets
- Dogs/cats very welcome
- Free tea
Culture at Mercury
🖐 Be super helpful
Go above and beyond to solve problems. Exercise empathy. Deliver magic to customers and coworkers.
🤔 Think actively
Question processes. Give thoughtful responses to questions you’re asked. Figure out the best way to do something instead of going by how it’s always been done.
🍎 Appreciate quality
Take pride in crafting a product that will last. Avoid cutting corners. Work with the best equipment and software. Invest in great things that make your life better.
🙏 Act with humility
Treat everyone with respect. Leave egos at the door.
🦖 Maximize efficiency
Minimize unnecessary meetings and management. Work together with others to get the job finished.
🔬 Focus on product
Ask yourself how the product can be better today than it was yesterday.