Product Designer - Reinventing VC
We are NFX, a seed & series A venture firm based in San Francisco’s SOMA/Financial District (close to Montgomery BART). We’re founded by four entrepreneurs who started 10 technology companies that exited for over $10 billion. Now we’re building the VC firm we wish existed when we were Founders. A VC firm that runs like a software company.
Venture capital is a “people business”, but we’re certain that software will radically change how innovation is funded and supported in the next 10 years. There is a huge opportunity for you to build products that reinvent how VCs make decisions and help all Founders gain their competitive edge with fundraising, hiring, and knowledge transfer. Many of our tools like Signal and The Company Brief are open to the entire tech community so we’re making an impact that is global.
As a core member of the Product team, you'll get full access to NFX content, events, & conferences, just like our Founders. You'll get an inside look at how VC works, while learning from hundreds of startups, meeting some of the most successful people in the startup world, and getting exposed to the best startup ideas and tactics.
So, who are you?
You love to ship. You optimize for moving fast and getting features out to users quickly. You understand the balance of building something usable, but not perfect. You prefer iterating on designs as users are using them rather than obsessing over details in Sketch or Figma.
You think about the big picture and dig into the details. You think about the overall product, the brand, and most importantly, the user from ideation to ship. You effortlessly navigate between thinking about the why & the what, to the details behind how we build.
You are low ego. Collaboration is your best method. You don’t care or remember who came up with the best idea. Engineers, product managers, and execs all love working with you because you make them all feel heard and you’re able to find a middle ground in dissenting opinions.
Learning makes you happy. You approach life with a beginner’s mind and with deep curiosity. You may already be following the VC + startup ecosystem. You tinker with the latest design tools even if you’re faster and more comfortable using Sketch or Figma. You are constantly interested in improving your skills as a product builder and technologist, learning from your team, users, and design community. Inside and outside of work, you ask for feedback continuously, listen intently, launch quickly, test hypotheses and are constantly iterating.
The nitty-gritty stuff that you probably have on your LinkedIn but don’t define who you are:
- Track record of shipping web and/or mobile apps that users love.
- Degree in Art, HCI, Computer Science, psychology, or business.
- At least 2 recent years of experience working at a startup.
- Based in the Bay Area or looking to be in the Bay Area. This is not a remote role.
- Prototyping experience with HTML and CSS. Bonus points if you know React.
This role WILL NOT be a good fit for you if:
- You think an ideal team shouldn’t have designers who code and engineers who design.
- You prefer the manager’s schedule over the maker’s schedule.
- You are dogmatic about design processes. We are a small tight-knit team that ships multiple times a day so we have just enough process which guides us.
This role WILL be a good fit for you if: You are applying to work or are currently working at a software startup. Prior VC experience is not a prerequisite to be successful in this role.
If this is you, here’s what you will do in a typical week @ NFX:
- Ideate, design, and code features of products used by the global Founder community (Signal, The Company Brief, VC Match) and products that define how the firm operates and make investment decisions
- Product Jam and iterate with product engineers, product managers, and NFX Partners on product decisions
- Analyze data and product metrics via Google Analytics, Mixpanel, and raw SQL queries
- Video call with Founders and VCs to understand their pain points
- Play with products used by the Founders and VCs to incorporate their best elements into our products
- Collaborate with our content/marketing team on how to “productize” the content topics that matter to the Founder community
- Become the expert on how VCs make decisions by listening to podcasts, reading blog posts, browsing VC Twitter, and talking to our team
Excited? Great...we're eager to meet you too. Come to us, oh glorious person.
To apply, please send us:
- A link to your design portfolio
- A note that helps us understand what interests you about building products for Founders and VC. Why should you be the next Product team member at NFX?