New York Public Radio (NYPR) and its main properties, WNYC and WQXR, have been engaging the hearts and minds of radio listeners in New York and around the country for generations. To re-invent that tradition and reach a new generation of listeners we’re transforming how our audiences listen to and support NYPR’s programming across our digital platforms.
Our vision for WNYC and WQXR is to create a more informative and engaging radio and podcast listening experience. One with opportunities for discovery and community building. Can you help us get there?
The Digital team is seeking a VUI/UX Designer to help super charge our storytelling capabilities, and to reinvent the way our listeners engage with our content across platforms e.g. smarts speakers, streaming audio, web, and mobile applications.
We are seeking a passionate designer to work closely with product, engineering, content and senior leadership on crafting and executing on our digital design vision.
You are a full stack product designer who approaches design problems with empathy and humility. You lead by doing and have a passion for problem solving. You are a strategic thinker and collaborator who flourishes in multidisciplinary environments. You can multitask like a pro while having an incredible eye for detail. You are excited by open-ended challenges and new ways of working efficiently across teams. You love building bridges both from a process and people perspective. You are eager to develop audio/VUI solutions for products, including smart speakers with GUI’s and non-GUI’s.
The ideal candidate has deep interest in data-driven, user-centric design with a focus on voice user interfaces, digital audio (radio/streaming news & music, on-demand podcasts).You can be self-directed, comfortable presenting to peers as well as senior leadership, and enjoy helping other members on the team be their best.
- VUI: use case matrix, dialog flows, skill design, error strategy
- Smart speaker skill prototyping
- Conduct user research and testing to validate hypotheses and report findings to internal and external teams
- Persona development
- Work closely with product and project to gather requirements and develop information architecture (wireframes)
- Prototype for internal and external testing and presentation needs
- Develop user flows and user journey maps
- Create high fidelity visual UI designs
- Contribute meaningfully to and extend the NYPR Design System
- Present ideas to NYPR digital, content and senior leadership teams
- 2+ years in audio and/or VUI design
- 5+ years in digital product design
- 2+ years working in design systems
- Design thinking tools
- Create pattern libraries, templates and tools for users on our platforms
- Expert in Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite Products
- Principle, Marvel or other prototyping apps
- Atlassian products
- Visual design skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Use research & analytics to make data-driven design decisions
- Use research & analytics to make user-centric design decisions
- Understanding of current speech and language technologies (smart speakers)
- Knowledge or experience in prototyping VUI’s, VUI competitor analysis using Sayspring, Alexa Skill Builder or SiriKit
- Deep design system experience
- Sketch library development & refinement
- Mood boarding
- Pattern Lab experience or equivalent pattern library platform
- Desire for innovation, balanced with business needs and user/listener expectations