Digital Product Designer
New York Public Radio (NYPR) and its main properties, WNYC and WQXR, have been engaging the hearts and minds of radio listeners in New York and around the country for generations. To re-invent that tradition and reach a new generation of listeners we’re transforming how our audiences listen to and support NYPR’s programming across our digital platforms.
Our vision for WNYC and WQXR is to create a more informative and engaging radio and podcast listening experience. One with opportunities for discovery and community building. Can you help us get there?
The Digital team is seeking a Digital Product Designer to help super charge our storytelling capabilities, and to reinvent the way our listeners engage with our content across platforms e.g. web, streaming radio, on-demand podcasts and mobile applications.
We are seeking a passionate designer to work closely with product, engineering, content and senior leadership on crafting and executing on our digital design vision.
You are a full stack product designer who approaches design problems with empathy and humility. You lead by doing and have a passion for problem solving. You are a strategic thinker and collaborator who flourishes in multidisciplinary environments. You can multitask like a pro while having an incredible eye for detail. You are excited by open-ended challenges and new ways of working efficiently across teams. You love building bridges both from a process and people perspective.
The ideal candidate enjoys working in an environment that supports and thrives on data-driven, user-centric design with experience gathering qual and quant data to build engaging digital experiences. A person with interest in iterative design and experience on scrum teams is a must. You’ve had in-house design team experience in media, publishing, music, radio or the like. You’re interested in evolving how news content is presented on the web and across platforms. You’re excited -to learn more- about VUI and digital audio (radio/streaming news & music, on-demand podcasts).You are a team player who can be self-directed, comfortable presenting to peers as well as senior leadership, and enjoy helping other members on the team be their best.
- Visual design
- UI design
- Managing the design environment
- Sketch library development and evolution
- Extending and evolving the Radial Design System
- Prototype digital experiences for internal reviews and user research
- Develop user flows and user journey maps
- Assist in user research and testing to validate hypotheses and report findings to internal and external teams
- Collaborate with other disciplines e.g. product and project to gather requirements and develop information architecture and content models for new web experiences
- Present ideas in a concise and easy to understand manner to NYPR digital, content and senior leadership teams
- 5+ years in digital product design
- 2+ years working in design systems
- Visual design skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Design thinking tools
- Create pattern libraries, templates and tools for users on our platforms
- Expert in Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite Products
- Principle, Marvel or other prototyping apps
- Atlassian products
- Use research & analytics to make data-driven design decisions
- Use research & analytics to make user-centric design decisions
- Sketch library development & refinement
- Deep design system experience
- Mood boarding
- Pattern library platform experience
- Desire for innovation, balanced with business needs and user/listener expectations