Product designer (UX/UI)
We're looking for someone to lead the digital product design at Beeline, joining our mission to help the world ride bikes more. Sound interesting? Read on!
WHO IS BEELINE?
Beeline is on a mission to help the world have better journeys by bike. Founded in 2015 by Mark and Tom, two friends who wanted to solve getting lost in London on their bikes, Beeline has now grown into a healthy young business with big ambitions to grow. Beeline’s first product, the Velo, is a beautifully designed device that sits on the bike handlebar and gives navigation guidance to the rider through the ride. It was launched on Kickstarter in 2015, and has since sold over 10,000 units. The Moto (the edition for motorcycles) launched this month and has already taken over 9,000 pre-orders. The first deal to integrate into a city bikeshare scheme has recently been confirmed, with several others in the pipeline – the number of Beeline users will at least triple in the next 9 months. The technology at the core of Beeline is in our mobile apps and soon web apps, where the user interactions occur. So they need to offer the best possible experience. This is where you come in.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We're looking for a great UX/UI designer to lead on the design of our mobile (iOS and Android) and web apps as we develop new features and mapping. You'll already have some good experience, designing visuals and interactions for mobile apps, with a good understanding of design processes and iterative prototyping using common design software. You'll also have a high level understanding of the mobile app development process. Even better if you have experience working with maps and data visualisation. Most important will be your passion for delivering great products you can be proud of and being interested in all aspects of design. While we're looking for a UX/UI designer first and foremost, in our small team we'd want you to have opinions and input on everything from industrial design of products through to brand guidelines. If that sounds like you we'd love to talk!
BEELINE AND DESIGN:
Our iOS and Android apps (and soon web apps) are the key interaction point for our users so we need to keep driving them to be the very best they can be. You could be working on areas such as:
- visual design overhaul of the mobile apps in their current form
- user flows through the mobile apps to improve usability and engagement
- journey planning user interactions across mobile and web
- mapping visualisations. e.g. heat maps of where people have travelled and demonstrating where is safe/pleasant (or not!) in suggested routes
- data visualisation of map and ride tracking data
- building gamification features
IMPACT OF THE WORK:
Two wheeled transport is set to play a huge role in the future of our cities as well as a leisure activity, and we think our products will be a key enabler to this growth. Bike use is growing for good reasons – the combined impact of improving citizens’ health and wellbeing as well as the broader environmental benefits make this a no brainer. The trend is helped along by huge new industries in micromobility (think Mobike bikes, Lime e-scooters etc) and two wheeled delivery fleets like Deliveroo and Uber Eats. Navigating all these new riders around the city in a way that meets their needs (ie safe routes for new cyclists, fast routes for delivery riders) is key to increasing participation and reaping the societal benefits, and we’re striving to be the company that does that.
WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- A competitive salary and generous options (shares)
- The opportunity to develop new skills
- A relaxed, supportive and jovial team culture - we aim to take our work seriously without taking ourselves too seriously
- The opportunity to shape the future of this young, growing company * A part to play in the future of urban transport
YOU CAN OFFER US:
- Experience designing for iOS and Android apps
- A range of typography, layout and Information visualisation skills
- A working understanding of design processes and iterative prototyping using common design software
- A high level understanding of the mobile development process
- Clear communication and team working skills
Bonus points for:
- Experience designing with and for maps and/or wayfinding
- Experience with data visualisation, and a desire to experiment with this creatively
- Experience working with animation
- A passion for getting around on two wheels (motorised or not!)
To apply, email CV and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org