POSITION: Product Designer
LOCATION: Culver City, CA
WHO WE ARE
Signal Sciences is the fastest growing web application security company in the world. With its award-winning next-gen WAF and RASP solution, Signal Sciences protects over 25,000 applications and over a trillion production requests per month. Signal Sciences’ patented architecture provides organizations working in a modern development environment with comprehensive and scalable threat protection and security visibility.
We work with some of the world’s most recognizable companies, like Under Armour, Adobe and WeWork, across industries, including five of the top eCommerce companies, five of the largest software companies, in addition to many others in the financial services, retail, healthcare, media and entertainment, and government sectors. In 2018, Signal Sciences won Technology of the Year from InfoWorld and Computing’s DevOps Excellence Award for Best DevOps Security Tool.
Product Designers at Signal Sciences work across all four layers of design (outcomes, structure, interaction, visual). You'll get to think strategically about how to make security problems visible and actionable for our customers, while simultaneously designing interfaces and interactions for new product features that all add up to a powerful, cohesive, and delightful experience.
You’ll get to own projects from discovery through release. This means you’ll have primary responsibility for defining product features that map to our users' core tasks, as well as the IA and structure of our application.
Problems you’ll get to work on include:
- How might our tool help bridge gaps between security teams, DevOps, and software engineering?
- How do we use design to transform complex datasets into insights?
- How do we design interactions and flows that allow users to act on insights to protect their applications and intelligently respond to attacks?
- What are the core buyer and user journeys our product needs to enable, and what structures do we need to design in order to support these journeys?
- How do we measure the impact of changes to our product's design?
QUALITIES / EXPERIENCE WE’RE SEEKING
You‘re a mid-career to senior-level designer who is interested in many different facets of product design––from research and interaction design to visual design and prototyping. However, we are looking for someone who is particularly strong at distilling complexity at the feature level - a designer who thinks beyond pixels and across touchpoints to create features that make users’ lives better and positively impact our business.
The right designer for this role will:
- Be an accomplished product designer with a portfolio that demonstrates the ability to solve challenging user experience problems with elegant, empathetic solutions.
- Have experience thinking through the challenges that come with structuring a large, complex application.
- Be a strategic thinker who works hard to correctly frame tough problems and setting teams up to deliver successful solutions.
- Demonstrate the ability to design polished user interfaces and interactions. While visual or motion design may not be your superpower, you have great taste and a solid understanding of color, typography, animation and visual hierarchy.
- Use systems thinking to deliver design decisions that scale, rather than creating one-off solutions.
- Have a solid understanding of the materials and constraints of the web. While this role doesn’t require coding experience, you should be familiar with modern web engineering tools and practices.
- Embrace a highly iterative design process. We value teammates who are highly adaptive and great listeners. You must be adept at giving and receiving critiques in a collaborative environment.
WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN SIGSCI
Signal Sciences' mission is to make the web more secure with tools that people love to use, written by people who love to make them. We're blazing a trail for how application security should work in an agile/DevOps world, which means you'll get to dig into challenging problems and deliver world-class experiences for some of the best brands in the world.
We’re a startup that values design deeply. We're a highly collaborative company that loves to win as a team. We're ambitious but balanced; we value honesty, humility and mutual respect; and we empower each person on the team to make a meaningful impact and own projects from start to finish.
Named a Best Place to Work in 2019 by LA Business Journal and Comparably, SigSci is built on a cultural foundation of passionate, driven, and unique individuals. As a team member, you will enjoy 100% employer-sponsored medical, dental, and vision benefits, 401K retirement plan, flexible work arrangements, weekly catered lunches, a variety of snacks, and cold brew on tap. Most of all, you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact with the industry leader in web application security.