Senior Product Designer
At Academia.edu, we're on a mission to accelerate global research. Based in the vibrant hub of San Francisco and backed by venture support, we have dedicated the past 15 years to building the world's largest online network for the sharing and discovery of academic research. With over 216 million users, and almost half of the world's scholars relying on our platform each month, our product team is crafting innovative solutions that cater to the diverse needs of academics and researchers worldwide.
Your Role: Senior Product Designer on the Growth Team
As a Senior Product Designer, you’ll be responsible for creating and executing design strategies to drive user acquisition, engagement, retention, and monetization. Your day-to-day will involve discussing A/B test ideas with the Head of Growth, getting feedback from the team on your A/B test hypotheses and design variants, and reviewing experimentation results with Analysts. Example projects involve completely revamping our onboarding flow, improving our paper upload flow, and optimizing our Premium upgrade funnels.
Design Leadership & Strategy:
- Proactively identify and advocate for growth opportunities, influencing and fostering alignment within the Growth Team.
- Advocate for the importance of user-centric design principles, UX frameworks, and best practices within the Growth Team and the wider organization.
- Mentor and guide junior designers, providing support and fostering their growth in the field of Growth Design.
Design Execution and A/B Testing:
- Create designs for A/B tests that are highly optimized to move key metrics.
- Rapidly iterate on design variants based on insights gained from previous A/B tests.
- Seek feedback from the Head of Growth and the Design Team to refine and improve design iterations.
- Conduct user interviews to gather valuable feedback and insights on design variants and user experiences.
- Partner closely with the Head of Growth and cross-functional teams to align on the growth roadmap and UX requirements.
- Collaborate with Data Analysts to analyze user data and test results, deriving actionable insights to inform design decisions.
- Work closely with Engineers to ensure efficient implementation of design solutions.
- Engage in regular design feedback sessions with the Design Team to foster a culture of collaboration and improvement.
- Contribute to the enhancement of design tools and processes to optimize productivity and effectiveness.
At least 6 years of overall design experience.
Minimum of 1 year of experience as a Growth Designer or as a Product Designer with a focus on optimizing user experiences and driving growth.
Proven ability to define UX frameworks and drive user journeys that result in improved conversion and engagement.
Strong understanding of design patterns, usability principles, and ethical design practices.
Extensive experience with A/B testing methodologies and optimization strategies.
Demonstrated leadership skills in leading design initiatives within cross-functional teams.
Willingness to adapt and evolve team processes as the organization grows and learns.
A strong portfolio showcasing your exceptional design work, with a particular emphasis on improving user experiences and driving growth metrics.
What's in it for you?
Mission-Driven Company: Join a company that is mission-driven but that is also financially secure and stable.
Product Innovation: Work on cutting-edge projects, such as redesigning the author experience and developing innovative tools powered by AI.
Leadership: Lead the definition and implementation of entire product lines.
Impact: Make a significant contribution to the user experience, driving growth and enhancing user satisfaction.
Career Growth: Explore opportunities for career advancement, whether you opt to further develop as an individual contributor or transition into a design management role.
Kind Company Culture: Work for an organization that values kindness, fostering a supportive and inclusive work culture.
Competitive Compensation: Enjoy a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.