A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
The NPR Marketing and Branding team is looking for a creative, enthusiastic mid-level designer to join our exciting and fast-paced team. Our team is constantly working on exciting projects that require a graphic designer to create engaging and on-brand creative for a variety of media. Our ideal candidate is an expert in typography and branding, with some experience in digital and social media design. They have a love for storytelling regardless of format, are comfortable with occasionally writing copy and have a well curated podcast playlist. They are readily able to collaborate with various internal clients simultaneously and are excited to join a team that is shaping the NPR brands that our audiences know and love.
This individual will apply design, brand-building, and creative savvy to strengthen NPR’s brand and increase audience for its ever-growing suite of podcasts, shows, events, and other products. The role presents a great opportunity for developing advertising campaigns, brand strategies, logos, and consumer products for new and seasoned NPR properties.
Our candidate is a highly motivated, self-directed, enthusiastic person with a strong attention to detail, who works well under pressure, thriving in a fast moving, news-driven atmosphere. The candidate must work collaboratively with Copywriters, Marketing Managers, and the Creative Director to efficiently execute creative solutions to projects as they arise while always thinking about the long term brand strategy implications. Our candidate will be responsible for delivering high-quality, on brand, scalable creative in a timely manner across parallel projects by iterating on existing creative work and creative direction established by the Creative Director.
All applicants are required to submit a portfolio as this will be the primary source of evaluation for this role. Previous experience in media or advertising is a plus and is not required. A link to your online portfolio in your application and your resume is required.
- Conceptualize visual style based on requirements and limitations within creative briefs
- Prioritize workload and work within budgetary and timing constraints
- Clearly articulate and present ideas or concepts to project stakeholders
- Develop illustrations, logos, key art and other campaign designs
- Develop color palettes, brand patterns, and other branding tools as part of brand kit packages
- Work in collaboration with copywriters, illustrators and Creative Director
- Collaboratively contribute to the copywriting process
- Test creative performance across various media, and learn from results
- Be amenable to feedback and creatively solve for requested changes
- Ensure final graphics and layouts are high quality and align with brand standards
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in graphic design; candidates with full-time agency or in-house design experience preferred
- Digital advertising, typography, brand design experience
- A strong portfolio of work examples required
- A keen eye for details and visual aesthetics
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite required (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator etc.)
- Keynote and PPT experience preferred
- Working knowledge of Premiere and/or After Effects is a plus
- Be ready to tell us about your favorite podcast and why others should listen to it (it does not have to be an NPR podcast)
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.