Sr. Graphic Designer
Values, Vision, and Purpose
At Food for the Hungry, we operate under a set of guiding principles we call “The Heartbeat.” This includes our Values, Vision, and Purpose, which serve as the explanation of who we are and how we work as an organization. Together we follow God’s call responding to human suffering and graduating communities from extreme poverty.
The Senior Graphic Designer will work in collaboration with the Creative Director to develop compelling and original visual campaigns, which in turn serve each department of Food for the Hungry. The Senior Graphic Designer will work directly with our cross-functional creative team and marketing team including designers, writers, and project managers and marketing strategists.
*Please note: this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Key Result #1 – Provide graphics and illustrations to support creative and marketing campaigns according to project requests (85%).
- Design and create graphic materials across media: digital, print, environmental, collateral, etc.;
- Provide visual storytelling including editorial illustration, data visualization, and/or animation;
- Brainstorm and ideate on branding campaigns in collaboration with Creative Director;
- Assure that design work is delivered to specification (adheres to FH image and branding guidelines), on time and within budget.
Key Result #2 – Assist in administrative processes for production art (10%).
- Convert designed assets for usage in social media, web banners, and other online applications;
- Pick-up, delivery and communication with printers and other graphic vendors;
- Scan and size images used in final artwork.
Key Result #3 – Pursue Personal and Professional Development (5%).
- Pursue Professional Development: Intentionally take part in beneficial education opportunities that result in further certification and expertise in design and or illustration;
- Study and Research Best Practices: Learn from like-minded organizations to and artists to design compelling campaigns.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty/function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ and Christian commitment to serving the poor, and in full agreement with FH’s Christian foundation and beliefs as expressed in our Vision, Mission and Values;
- Proficiency with Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Acrobat Pro and Photoshop; Microsoft PowerPoint experience a plus; basic knowledge of Word and Excel;
- Unquestionable integrity and strong sense of professional ethics;
- Think in terms of design systems and making rational design decisions;
- Experience in creating cohesive multiplatform campaigns;
- Painstaking attention to detail;
- Commitment to collaboration and teamwork;
- Knowledge of traditional principles of design, as demonstrated through portfolio work;
- Excellent project management and collaboration skills;
- Ability to work on a team, maintains a positive and professional demeanor, and accepts constructive criticism in a professional, mature manner;
- Able to organize own work, self-motivated and respond well to deadlines;
- Ability to translate complex world issues into concise illustrations and informative designs;
- A passion for digital illustration and substantial experience in brand thinking;
- Knowledge and experience with designing for digital experiences;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines;
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds;
- Ability to sit at a computer for up to 8 hours a day doing repetitive motions on a keyboard;
- Ability to travel up to 5% of time per year in the US and internationally, to insecure countries or locations.
Education and Experience: Associate’s degree or equivalent experience in graphic arts field, and at least four years of design and / or agency experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Supervisor Responsibilities: This position does not have direct supervisory responsibilities.
Language: Proficiency in spoken and written English. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.