Location: Chicago, IL
What We’re Looking For
CityBase is looking for someone who can contribute to our success by supporting our product design team. In this role you will work closely with other designers, our design researcher, product managers, and engineers to evolve our products and imagine the future of GovTech. You should be able to present and communicate your designs and decisions in a clear and concise way. You should have a mind for design thinking, with an eye for details.
At its best, local government is a unifying force with the power to dramatically improve lives. CityBase strives to make a difference for everyday people interacting with their government. We are helping smart people build intelligent government, working with cities, counties, utilities, and states to create a place as dynamic as the people who live in it, work in it, and contribute to it. Accessible and responsive, adaptive and efficient, our platform is digitizing the city-hall experience and impacting constituents nationwide.
We are looking for someone who shares these values and wants to make a difference in the world. This is a great opportunity for an early-career candidate who is interested in gaining wide exposure to a product-led tech company.
- You will collaborate with designers, our design researcher, product managers, and engineers to frame problems and potential solutions.
- Using a holistic approach you will advocate for the user on all touchpoints and interactions people may have with the company and product over time.
- Design meaningful experiences by utilizing composition, typography, color, and other aesthetic tools.
- Using a variety of prototyping tools to test and communicate designs and ideas internally and externally to stakeholders and users.
- Constantly refining and validating your design decisions and assumptions by testing new product features.
- You are passionate about designing for good.
- You have some experience. Years are only a number, but you’ve probably had 2 or more years of professional design experience working in product design.
- You have a strong portfolio that communicates collaboration, creativity, and innovative approaches to problem solving.
- You are organized and self-driven. You have the ability to prioritize, manage, and work on multiple projects at once in a fast-paced startup without sacrificing quality or standards.
- You know the tools. You have worked with Sketch, various prototyping tools, and the Adobe Creative Suite. You’re also not a stranger to presenting your work in Google Slides or Keynote.
- You are a champion of design. Design is important to you and your work shows it.
- You are detail-oriented. Poorly kerned typography bothers you and pixel perfection is something you strive for.
- You have ideas. Nailing the design part is important but you’ve got big ideas and opinions about design, and you’re not afraid to speak up and share them.
- You work well with others. Designing can be an introverted profession and that’s okay, but you work well with other designers and take feedback thoughtfully.
- You’re curious. The government tech space can be confusing and complex at times, and you’re interested in learning about it and helping clearly communicate it to others.
You don’t have to know these things because we know you’re not a unicorn, but an interest or willingness to learn the following is a big plus.
- Knowledge of CSS and HTML to better help facilitate the handoff between design and development
- Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, 401(k)
- Flexible Spending Account, Dependent Flexible Spending Account, Pre-tax Commuter Program, company-paid short-term and long-term disability and life insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Paid parental leave
- A multitude of snacks and beverages
About CityBase: CityBase is a government technology company that transforms the way cities connect and do business with constituents. CityBase works with local governments, agencies, and utilities to integrate payment functionality, business processes, and communications onto a central, cloud-based platform that consumers can access through the web, mobile, kiosk, or point-of-sale.