The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the largest airline pilot union in the world and the largest non-governmental aviation safety organization in the world (representing over 66,000 pilots at 40 U.S. and Canadian airlines) seeks an experienced Digital Designer for our Tysons (McLean), Virginia office. An ALPA Digital Designer provides web and mobile application design to advance and support the Association's digital goals through the development and maintenance of ALPA's public and secured websites and mobile applications. The Digital Designer works closely with web developers to execute their digital visions and with other designers to ensure that all digital products align with brand standards across mediums.
Day-to-day they work on Association-wide projects, designing and creating web sites, email templates, mobile applications, and digital graphics in collaboration with stakeholders and developers. Regular responsibilities include, and are not limited to, web design, graphic design, web content management, website maintenance, email design, and UX/UI design for mobile and desktop devices. The majority of their work requires a strategic, thought-driven process to create digital products that reflect the Association's goals, vision, and values.
Interested applicants are requested to submit online portfolio link(s) showing previous work.
Local travel: 5 - 10%.
ALPA is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in a safe workplace. We prohibit discrimination, harassment and harmful behavior of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or other protected characteristics as outlined in federal or provincial laws. We highly value everyone and all are encouraged to apply, including minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities.
· Minimum three (3) years of experience with demonstrated expertise in web design and content, five (5) or more years strongly preferred.
· Bachelor's degree in relevant area, e.g., Design, Web Development, Digital Media, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field preferred, from an accredited college or university; or, the equivalent combination of education and practical experience.
· Software: Proficiency in Content Management Systems, preferably Evoq, Sitecore, and DNN. Proficiency with Adobe Suite for web publishing and graphic design including XD, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver. Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook preferred.
· Proficiency in HTML, CSS, and familiarity with other markup and/or programming languages.
· Graphic design and typography skills, especially in composing websites and emails.
· Knowledge of UX/UI design.
· Knowledge of web standards, browser compatibility issues, and accessibility issues.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, for effective interaction with internal staff, external contacts, and pilots.
· Ability to test and troubleshoot software across devices, screen sizes and operating systems.
· Strong proofreading and organizational skills.
· Ability to understand and decipher information and documents of a technical nature.
· Knowledge of labor-related and advocacy issues preferred.
Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below.
Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position, move about the office and the local metropolitan area, determine what others have said or written, and converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move about the office and travel. Also includes occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack, unpack, and/or move cases.
Occasionally required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, books, boxes, and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs.). While on travel, could be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve luggage weighing as much as 50 lbs. (Assistance may not always be available.)
Please apply online at https://jobs-alpa.icims.com/jobs/1427/digital-designer/job
ALPA offers competitive salaries with terrific benefits, including:
· 401k Plan with Non-Elective Employer Contribution of 13% after 180 days of employment. No employee contribution required! The plan includes a Roth option and 4-year vesting schedule.
· Generous health care benefits on day one – PPO, Kaiser (where available), and a High Deductible Health Plan which includes coverage for medical, dental, and vision benefits for employee, spouse, and/or dependent children;
· 27 days paid vacation and holidays per year plus 2 volunteer days per year;
· Generous sick and bereavement leave;
· Competitive parental leave;
· Company-paid premiums for disability and life insurance;
· Flexible Spending and Health Savings accounts;
· Retiree health plan;
· Education Assistance Program; and,
· Optional benefits including pet insurance, excess life insurance, legal plan, and qualified transportation fringe benefits, where available.
Relocation not provided.
Sponsorship not available for this position.