Associate Graphic Designer
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Chicago, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
We are looking for an Associate Graphic Designer that is both extremely organized and creatively savvy to help join our Design team in the Communications department of our San Francisco HQ office. The position will support the team’s broader role in coordinating and driving many key visual communications for the organization, working closely with our Comms teams in multimedia, web, editorial, social, and marketing as well as with stakeholders across departments.
The Associate Graphic Designer will help to produce materials that support the organization’s mission and brand, highlight our work and services as part of a larger donor advocacy push, and also clarify our programmatic work.
We are looking for a candidate to round out our nimble, yet highly prolific team: a partner that is highly creative and collaborative—and also comfortable, articulate, agile, and maintains a healthy sense of humor.
Design and Design Production – 60%
- Layout and design a wide array of print and digital assets, including one-sheets, brochures, report booklets, calendars, social media graphics, event materials, and outdoor advertising
- Creatively meet design needs from teams across the organization, including marketing, advocacy communications, and fundraising.
- Maintain existing brand guidelines across all creative and graphic materials and contribute to further development of Earthjustice’s organizational brand identity.
- Create moodboards and storyboards to convey early design concepts for brainstorming and ideation
- Produce physical mockups for review
- Conduct prepress proofing and press checks
- Actively participate in team sessions on storytelling, campaign brainstorms, and strategic planning.
Administrative and Project Management – 30%
- Schedule and prep meetings
- Set up and maintain shared production folders
- Organize and maintain collateral archives (soft and hard)
- Format and organize graphic and brand assets
- Help draft creative briefs and organize Design team timelines
- Coordinate with inter- / intradepartmental teams, vendors, and contractors
Continued personal learning – 10%
- Participate in organization-wide initiatives and trainings that contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences
- Utilize internal and external resources to support a personal and professional development journey that increases awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations
- BA in Visual Arts, Graphic Design, Digital Media Design or equivalent combination of training and design experience required
- 1-3 year of professional experience in the field of graphic design
- Fluency in Adobe CS Suite, primarily Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign
- Proficiency in Powerpoint, Acrobat, Excel
- Strong verbal communications, collaboration, and interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of visual design principals, including photography, typography, iconography, color theory, grid theory, identity, and branding
- Ability to multitask while being extremely organized, productive, timely, reliable, and detail-oriented
- Ability to synthesize constructive feedback into responsive designs while still maintaining strong, cohesive vision
- Ability to work independently on projects from initial stages to completion and take direction well while showing initiative
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness, especially in image selection
- Preferred: infographic experience, freehand illustration skills, basic coding, knowledge of environmental issues
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $64,400 - $71,600
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and PDF or Word Document with a link to a portfolio online via the Jobvite system.
Please, no phone calls, hard copies, or drop-ins. If you're having technical difficulties submitting your application, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.Posted 18 days ago Apply Now