- Do you have a strong creative background?
- Can you visualize multiple solutions for a design problem?
- Are you able to manage multiple projects and customers?
- Do you have great attention to detail?
- Are you a quick learner?
- Do you love to meet new people?
Motawi Tileworks is a nationally recognized maker of distinctive art tiles for homes and public places. Our company was founded in 1992 by Nawal Motawi, owner and principle designer. We are passionate about making great tile while spreading our positivity and sharing our experience. Motawi strives to cultivate positivity, constantly improve, and make high-quality tile.
We have an opening on our installation design team. Our installation designers have won regional and national awards for their projects, and our clients have high expectations of our professionalism and design expertise with our complex line of distinctive handmade tile. We work with homeowners, designers and the trades.
We are seeking a problem solver with a design background, possibly architecture or interior design. Our ideal candidate is someone who knows and loves our tiles and can envision incorporating them into beautiful projects. Applicants must be able to work cooperatively, accepting input on project designs while contributing positively to the staff environment. Our ideal candidate is great with people and enjoys customer contact; someone who is diplomatic, yet comfortable steering clients towards the right solution. Attention to detail, good time management, and strong oral and written communication skills are essential. A bachelor’s degree, preferably in a design-related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, is required.
Candidates should be comfortable using Microsoft Office 365 applications and Adobe Illustrator, but those with proficiency in other design software may be considered.
Essential Duties of an Installation Designer
Members of the design team work on installation designs of fireplaces, back splashes, baths and floors for residential projects, in addition to commercial projects. You will work directly with clients in person and via the phone and email. Design options are created using Adobe Illustrator, and you will have responsibility for managing multiple projects and processing orders using QuickBooks. Designers work closely with the production team and participate in the quality control process.
*To see examples of projects created by our Design Team, check out our portfolio on Motawi.com.
Compensation is negotiable depending on ability and work experience. Along with wages, all employees receive approx. $5,000 in benefits, including paid holidays, vacation, and personal days. In addition, we have a bonus program, quarterly gift certificates, staff discounts, monthly luncheons, monthly Cake Day, plus the satisfaction of working with great people in a healthy organization!
Send all of the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Installation Designer
- One-page cover letter that describes why you are the right person for the job and why you are interested in working at Motawi Tileworks.
- Resume (2 pages maximum).
- At least three images of previous design work, regardless of medium.
- On a separate page, include 2 brief essays:
1) Identify your favorite Motawi installation from the Installation Gallery on our website and explain why you selected it
2) Describe a time when you provided outstanding customer service to a client, co-worker or supervisor.
For more information, check out our website at http://www.motawi.com. Applicants are highly encouraged to attend the free weekly tour of the Tileworks (going incognito is best). Tours happen twice weekly, on Tuesdays at 1:00pm and Thursdays at 11:00am. Due to the volume of inquiries, we don’t take phone calls related to our openings.
1. Design Project Responsibilities
- Become familiar with Motawi Tileworks' line of products and glazes, design services, pricing, catalog and portfolio of projects
- Respond to requests for design assistance, in person and via email and telephone
- Schedule and participate in design consultations with clients; establish rapport, discuss project parameters, preferences and budget, and provide tile samples
- Develop multiple design solutions for each project including color renderings using Adobe Illustrator
- Count tiles, prepare list of parts and details, prepare quotes in QuickBooks
- Review options and quotes with customers; prepare final design
- Schedule projects and create work orders
- Collect and record design fees, deposits and final payments
- Attend regular meetings with the production department
- Review and approve completed tiles during the Quality Control phase
- As the face of the design department, you may be asked to attend awards presentations, network at conferences and trade events, and nurture relationships with members of the trades
o Success: Project designs are fresh and inspired and completed in a timely manner. Customers are heard and their input is noted; design solutions respond to their feedback. Tile counts and quotes are accurate. Written correspondence is friendly yet concise, and always proofread. Customers are complimentary at the end of the process.
2. Front Showroom Assistance and Maintenance
- Maintain tile samples, concept boards, design studio and work area
- Update project portfolio and idea books
- Meet with walk-in design clients
o Success: Design studio is always neat, clean and ready for walk-in customers. Tile samples are labeled and filed in the correct locations. Project portfolio and idea books contain the best and most recent installation images. Walk-in customers get their initial questions answered.
3. Social Media
- Provide projects and images for posting on Houzz, Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram
- Work with marketing team to keep a fresh look on Facebook and website
- Assist in evaluating and updating website for user friendliness
o Success: Social media is filled with the best of Motawi’s installations, and images are freshened up regularly. Customer feedback is overwhelmingly positive regarding the Installation Tile section of the website.
4. General Office & Administration
- Act as a resource for technical installation questions
- Strategize with design team on marketing, sales, events and customer service
- Maintain customer database in Zoho
- Provide support and training for Retail department on working with Installation customers
- Answer phones and provide assistance to customers
- Participate in weekly all-staff Huddle, Installation check-in and Marketing meetings
- Participate in studio and marketing events, including biannual Mega Sales
- Support other staff members and pitch in on special projects, as available
o Success: Technical and other questions are responded to promptly and accurately. Zoho database is current. Participation at meetings is always on time and fully engaged. Other staff members can rely on commitments made and consider Installation Designer a team player.Posted 5 days ago Apply Now