Genius is looking for a Product Designer to lead the end-to-end design of Genius’s website and mobile apps, and collaborate with our partners at major streaming services to design integrations akin to Spotify Behind the Lyrics or Genius’s Apple music player integration.
We are embarking on our first major redesign since 2016, which will involve creating a componentized design system flexible enough to display the full spectrum of information available on Genius on all platforms. In this role you will be responsible for creating and owning that design system, and working closely with the engineering team while they implement those changes.
Genius is the world's biggest encyclopedia of music. Powered by its community, in-house creative team, and the artists themselves, Genius serves music knowledge to over 100 million people each month on Genius.com and everywhere music fans connect—including over 130 million users on Spotify and Apple Music—across the internet.
Founded in 2009, Genius began as a platform for annotating rap lyrics. Over the years, it has expanded its mission to include more than hip-hop, and more than just lyrics. Every song has a story that needs to be told, and the biggest names in music—including Frank Ocean, Lorde, and Cardi B—come to Genius to give the world insight into their art.
- Lead the design of Genius’s website and mobile apps, building and extending our componentized product design system in response to feedback.
- Work directly with external partners to design integrations akin to Spotify Behind the Lyrics or Genius’s Apple music player integration.
- Work closely with Visual Designers and Developers to ensure that our digital products are compelling and functional.
- Understand and extend a visual language for interactive systems that align with the development of our product.
- Build clean and organized creative deliverables.
- Work with CTO and developers in order to set time expectations when working on a product.
- Give structured and actionable feedback to developers, other designers and manager.
- 3+ years product/interactive design experience.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating relevant digital experience.
- Strong understanding of interactivity on the web and native mobile apps and the fundamentals of information architecture, hierarchy, and layout.
- Careful attention to detail.
- An eagerness to collaborate across disciplines with team members at all levels.
- The ability to both work autonomously and as part of a team.
- Deep knowledge and interest in music, digital media, social media and technology.
- Experience working with Sketch, Illustrator, Indesign, or similar.
- Experience working in-house/tech start-up is a plus.
- Experience working with prototyping software like Origami Studio is a plus.