About the Role
We are searching for a talented creative who can help us use powerful, compelling storytelling to move people to action. This person will help us rethink the way we share our insights with a variety of audiences, including partner organizations, funders, and conferences across the globe. We are looking for someone who can help us communicate in new ways that let data visualizations, imagery, and video take center stage. This role will help us create a seamless journey for our audiences, using a variety of mediums in service of the story.
This role is ideal for someone who is willing to roll up their sleeves and help bring Surgo’s storytelling and visualizations to the next level. You will help refine our brand identity and reinforce our key messages by bringing our insights to life. You will also have the opportunity to expand the ways in which we communicate by developing new internal capabilities. Ultimately, we are looking for someone who can help us get our audiences to that ‘Ah ha’ moment. A passion for translating complex topics into easy-to-understand messages is key. You will also need to be able to clearly and concisely express yourself and explain your ideas to both technical and non-technical team members.
Project management is extremely important in this role as some work may be completed in-house, while other work may be done through partnerships or with third parties, depending on technical specifications. On a day-to-day basis, you will be leading the creative process from ideation to final delivery for print, online, and other media. You will also be collaborating closely with our research and program teams to bring Surgo’s insights to life. Experience designing data visualizations and working with technical stakeholders is a must. This role is a rare position that gives you the opportunity to be both strategic and work directly on content at the same time. It is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to grow their skills and work across different mediums.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop an innovative communications strategy and brand identity that positions Surgo as an industry leading, visual storyteller and breaks the mold of how storytelling is traditionally done by non-profits.
- Translate complex, data-focused insights and methods into simple yet compelling visuals across mediums that can be shared with a wide variety of audiences.
- Refine Surgo’s visual language and ensure consistency across all mediums and communications - presentations, website, external documents, etc.
- Lead creative projects from ideation to final delivery including scoping requirements, budgeting, creating project plans and monitoring to ensure that deliverables are on time and meet the organization’s quality standards.
- Develop creative, innovative user-centric designs in response to project requirements, user analyses, product innovation, and Foundation marketing.
- Collaborate with and support our technical teams using your creative expertise, particularly around data visualization best practices.
- Contribute to the design process to deliver creative solutions such as print, web, and marketing materials, including type specifications, illustrations, photography, print design, multimedia, and UX.
- Work with partner organizations and third parties to design and build digital tools that support our mission.
- Perform other duties or special projects as required or as assigned by a supervisor.
Core Knowledge and Skills
- Passion for translating complex ideas into visual narratives across mediums
- Excellent project management skills with an understanding of creative disciplines and client services and a strong ability to translate complex and abstract concepts into simple and well communicated visual presentations
- High level of proficiency in design, UX, data visualization, and web and multimedia software applications, such as Squarespace, Adobe Creative Suite, and Microsoft Office.
- Previous experience designing data visualizations and working with stakeholders from technical teams.
- Able to bring and maintain appropriate and consistent brand voice, tone, and styles across all mediums
- Agile, detail and goal-oriented personality, driven to succeed and always up for a challenge
- Willingness to role up their sleeves to take on a variety of tasks
- Strong collaborating skills, and an ability to work effectively in a flat organization
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines; high energy, self-motivated and proactive
- Ability to multitask, and be flexible with regard to workload and assignments
Reporting: The Creative Strategist will report to the Director of Programs.
Location: Washington DC, USA
Surgo Foundation is an ‘action tank’ focused on using the latest innovations around behavior, tech, and data to drive change in communities with limited resources. With a laser focus on uncovering the ‘why’, we partner with organizations and governments to help unlock some of the world’s toughest challenges, from improving maternal health to reducing the spread of Tuberculosis. Our multidisciplinary team includes public health experts, data scientists, behavioral scientists, and technologists who are skilled in collecting and interpreting data on why people behave the way they do and how complex systems work, and in developing scalable tools. We are a small team having an outsized impact.
Our Hiring Philosophy
We hire for passion and core competencies. We look for problem solvers and lateral thinkers. We love it if you have done different things with your time. If you think you are ideal for this position, write to us even if you don’t have all of the above requirements.
Do you have a deep passion for improving the lives of people who live in extreme poverty around the world?
Do you want to work in one of the most entrepreneurial development organizations?
Are you willing to roll up your sleeves and be part of a core team that grows this organization, and grow with it?
Are you a problem solver by nature? Do you live and breathe data and see patterns in it that others don’t?
Would people say you are one of the most analytic, curious and creative people they know?
If yes…we look forward to hearing from you…
Equal Opportunity and Diversity Policy
Surgo believes a diverse, inclusive staff makes us a stronger team and more impactful organization. We’re committed to a diverse team, and qualified people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, languages, social class, marital status, religions, veterans status, and disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates: Please send resume, cover letter, and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Creative Strategist” in the subject line.
Closing date for applications: Accepted on a rolling basis
Desired start date: As soon as possiblePosted about 2 months ago Apply Now