Senior Digital Product designer
BiblioCommons is a Toronto based software company that builds SaaS solutions for public libraries. Located in the heart of the tech district at Spadina and Adelaide, we have a team of 80+ people who are passionate about making public libraries accessible, delightful and engaging. We are honoured to work with some of the most prestigious public libraries in North America.
Libraries are some of North America’s architectural marvels — gorgeous, carefully thought-out spaces for learning. It’s time the online spaces for libraries lived up to their physical counterparts— and that’s where you come in.
We’re growing rapidly, and are on the hunt for people who are excited about the opportunity to shape the digital future of libraries. Designers at BiblioCommons are strategic partners not just with our technology and product teams here in Toronto, but with our library customers across North America.
How you will make an impact:
Product designers are key players on our team - involved in shaping the function and form of our products from early concept development to continual iteration and improvement. We work closely with other designers, product managers and developers to build beautiful usable solutions for libraries and library patrons. You will use Visual Design, UX, Research, and Design Thinking practices to breathe life into the next generation of library experiences.
We're working to create Squarespace for public libraries. Equally simple and beautiful. But also super powerful in its integrations with library-unique content types, workflows and systems.
The BiblioCommons design team is small and agile. Design is a top priority for our entire company. We’re looking for a great team player with a humble mindset who is resourceful & independent.
What you will be doing:
- Collaborate with our customer libraries to help them build better websites, apps and new products.
- Leverage your skills to define problems and identify solutions
- Work on new features features from initial brainstorming & sketching to polished, beautiful execution.
- Design iteratively, incorporating feedback at every step. Be comfortable communicating design & interactions rapidly at varying levels of fidelity
- Think in terms of patterns, components, and systems. Help evolve and adapt our BiblioCommons design system internally and for our libraries.
- Take ownership. You’ll be expected to work closely with your design peers, while taking responsibility for every last detail of the work, every step of the way.
- Partner closely with engineering, product, and business to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges.
- Look for opportunities to improve our product wherever possible through user research, heuristic analysis, competitive analysis, and application of established & emerging design patterns
What you will bring to the team:
- You have experience working on a product team or in a product design role at an agency/consultancy. Experience with editorial design, web products & content management systems is a plus.
- You’re a strong visual designer. You can show examples of a few products you’ve shipped yourself, and tell us a bit about your favourite graphic design masterpieces, typefaces and design systems.
- You communicate in an articulate, structured and empathetic manner, and are comfortable talking about your work and understanding the needs of others
- You have an online portfolio that you can share with us. A link to your online portfolio, is required. Applications without a portfolio won’t be considered.
- You are able to provide a brief explanation in your application of why you are excellent for this role, while highlighting relevant aspects of your portfolio.
- Health, dental and vision benefits
- Healthy snacks
- Friday happy hour
- Monthly team lunch and demos
- Annual hackathons
- Sponsored recreational sports team
- Professional development program
BiblioCommons is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available upon request to support your participation during all stages of the recruitment process.Posted 24 days ago Apply Now