Head of Design
Almanac’s mission is to democratize access to 21st century skills, insights, and tools so that no one is limited by knowledge in pursuit of their potential.
Through our own experiences, we’ve seen professionals at digital businesses waste too much time trying to find answers they can trust that help them do their jobs better. We believe this problem isn’t rooted in a lack of knowledge or expertise in the world, but in the deficiencies of tools we rely on to access, share, and improve how work gets done.
To make opportunity available to everyone, we’re building a knowledge platform that technology professionals can trust for documenting, distributing, and collaborating on how they work. We replace tools like Confluence and Google Docs to help individuals quickly access knowledge within and across companies that they can trust deeply.
We’ve been moving fast since we founded Almanac in January 2019. Since then, we’ve built and launched the initial version of our product, raised a $2M+ seed round from leading Silicon Valley investors, and grown our full-time team to 10 people. Check out our platform here (login: email@example.com / password: take-a-peek).
We’ve seen surprisingly deep demand from a broad cross section of customers, who are asking for a powerful platform that can help their employees be their best selves at work.
That’s where you come in: we’re looking for a full-time Head of Design to lead the development of a product that will help people work better and faster.
About the role
As the head of the team responsible for realizing Almanac’s design-oriented value proposition, we’re looking for a passionate, seasoned designer who wants to make a big impact.
You will drive the design of our ambitious roadmap, perfecting our core features while testing new ideas and expanding customer functionality. You’ll play a critical role in creating our brand voice and standards and supervising the production of marketing assets, like our website and customer communications. And you’ll help us build out a top-tier design team that becomes our secret weapon and the envy of our competitors.
Specifically, you will:
- Lead the design of Almanac’s core product
- Hire and develop design managers and leads to meet our business demands and employee development needs
- Contribute to our company’s strategy, and set the monthly objectives and results for the design team
- Work with Almanac’s leadership to determine our design direction
- Collaborate with our product development and engineering teams to produce stunning, effective product interfaces and interactions
Design experiences that will make you stand out:
- Products with a lot of information density or data complexity
- Team-based collaboration features or experiences
- Enterprise technology companies that have consumer-oriented value propositions and experiences
- Subscription-based business models
- Starting and growing healthy, high-performing teams
Skills that make you extraordinary:
- An uncompromising obsession with high-quality work
- An ability to think for yourself
- Willingness to be both an effective individual contributor and inspiring manager
- Versatility across product and brand design
- A love of detailed, continuous feedback that makes the work better
- Desire to always move fast and prioritize speed over scope
- Hunger to build a world-changing product
About working at Almanac
At Almanac, we’re looking for structured thinkers full of passion, ambition, and kindness. We’d love for you apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your experience, skills, and interests will help you stand out—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Almanac, we welcome people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions and the status quo. Join us.
At Almanac, we:
- Are fundamental optimists who believe we’re still only at the start of the digital age.
- Go to extraordinary lengths to distinguish ourselves through world-class work.
- Prioritize quality over speed, and speed over scope.
- Desire working with deeply kind, mission-driven people.
- Strive to make the complex simple.
- Use first principles to debate ideas, test assumptions, and make decisions.
- Seek the truth by putting data above opinions.
- Assume good intent and give tactical feedback to help each other get better.
- Hold no ego—when our customers win, we all win.
As a company, we are seriously committed to your professional development and growth:
- You will set your own monthly goals aligned with our ambitious strategy
- You will have our collective support in achieving major wins—and personal coaching from your manager
- You will be able to request and manage your own budget
- You will be encouraged to take risks, try new things, and be creative with your work
- You will have many opportunities to exchange and engage in feedback
- You will be offered continual chances to stretch yourself and raise your own bar
- You will be rewarded for achieving excellence and mastery