A full-time position is available in the Graphic Design Department for an interaction designer. The Graphic Design department develops and maintains the Whitney's brand and graphic identity. Through the various materials that are produced with the institution's graphic language (including advertising, promotional materials, signage, invitations, branded merchandise, mass mailings, publications, as well as whitney.org and other multimedia initiatives), this department both communicates the Museum's positioning while continually serving to distinguish the Whitney within the cultural landscape of New York and beyond. See design.whitney.org for an archive of projects.
- Conceptualize, wireframe, iteratively develop, optimize, and execute design for primarily digital applications, with potential for some work in print and environmental applications
- Work in close collaboration with colleagues from all Museum departments, in particular Digital Media, while under the supervision of the Director of Graphic Design, and within the language of the Whitney’s graphic identity
- Act as liaison with developers and outside vendors as needed
- Provide recommendations for best practice on web and mobile platforms with both the Whitney’s and the user’s needs in mind
- B.F.A. in design with 5+ years of professional digital design experience; or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Strong client-facing communication and project management skills
- Strong typographic ability
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong experience with UX design and information architecture across multiple platforms
- Strong responsive and mobile-first design skills
- Affinity for designing systematically
- Familiarity with translating data about user behavior into effective design strategies
- Experience managing the production and/or development of large commercial projects
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with interactive prototyping
- Knowledge of 20th-century American art/contemporary art
- Experience with animation
- Familiarity with accessible website design, including W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 and Section 508
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- Experience with Google Analytics and other digital analytics platforms
Please complete an application located on the Museum’s website: https://whitney.org/About/JobPostings.
About the Whitney
The Whitney Museum of American Art, founded in 1930 by the artist and philanthropist Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, houses the foremost collection of American art from the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. From her vision arose the Whitney Museum of American Art, which has been championing the most innovative art of the United States for 86 years. The core of the Whitney’s mission is to collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit American art of our time and serve a wide variety of audiences in celebration of the complexity and diversity of art and culture in the United States. Through this mission and a steadfast commitment to artists themselves, the Whitney has long been a powerful force in support of modern and contemporary art and continues to help define what is innovative and influential in American art today.
The Whitney Museum of American Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Museum does not discriminate because of age, sex, religion, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, partnership status, veteran status, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, or any other factor prohibited by law. The Museum hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. The Museum encourages all qualified candidates to apply for vacant positions at all levels. This description shall not be construed as a contract of any sort for a specific period of employment.
Posted 8 days ago