Product Design Lead
Want to build the future of healthcare IT? We're looking for our first Product Design Lead for our patient-centred communication platform!
We’re on a mission to bring patients and their healthcare teams together, to make patients healthier and the healthcare workforce happier. Our core product, Chain SMS, is used by over 1 in 4 GP surgeries in England, only one year after launching (launched Feb 2018). Joining as our first product designer you'll own the development of our design system and ensure this is embedded into the way the company works. You have the opportunity to build our design function from scratch.
A little more about us
- We believe healthcare is a communication industry - that’s where time is spent and where things go wrong
- Our vision is that anyone involved in a patient's care can easily communicate with everyone else involved in that patient's care, including the patient.
- Today, we help GP practices communicate with their patients and with their team.
- We’re a small but successful team of 13 with a range of backgrounds in software and healthcare.
- We’re growing our team fast, and closed a Series A funding round of £8.8m back in February 2019 with three of Europe’s top tech investors: Atomico, LocalGlobe and Entrepreneur First
What will the Product Design Lead need to do?
To date, we haven't had a Designer in the team. Our product has been designed by the whole team, led by Lorna (our Head of User Research) and Jacob (our CEO). Now we need someone to come in with real design expertise to come in and show us how it's done. You'll be setting up a design function from scratch, to take our product to the next level.
Create a beautiful, functional and consistent product aesthetic
- You want our users to experience joy every time they use our software
- You can develop your own design system and principles that can scale as the product team grows
- You can create robust interaction models, that bring together a wide range of functionality, without compromising on usability
- You’ll make designs taking into account our roadmap of future functionality
Make everything intuitive
- You can create really easy-to-use applications. We don’t believe in providing training to our users – we think it’s a workaround for poor design
- You can create a delightful onboarding process. Our software is provided completely self-service.
- We have a diverse userbase so you'll need to be comfortable designing for users with low technical literacy
- You thrive on solving fundamentally new design challenges. We're solving completely new problems and creating new product paradigms.
Embed design in the way we work
- You're excited about creating a design culture across the company.
- You’ll work closely with our Head of User Research to make sure that the whole team shares strong empathy with our users, and that they understand the rationale behind design decisions
- You’ll embed design processes in each sprint, so that we can produce high quality features at pace
What kind of person are we looking for?
- You live and breathe beautiful and effective design. You’ve got a strong portfolio of software projects that backs this up.
- You have a very strong set of UI and Interaction Design skills
- You care deeply about creating the best user experience, can pick things up fast, and have a strong grasp of user psychology
- You’re a whizz with Balsamiq/Sketch/Marvel/Figma/pen & paper/something else – we’re not wedded to any tools here (other than the whiteboard) and want you to show us how it’s done
- You love solving problems in both an analytical and creative way and can help others in the team do this too
- You have a deep understanding of a wide range of design methodologies, and can put in place strong processes for ensuring quality, consistency and that we meet user needs
Things we look for in every hire
- You care about maintaining our company culture as we grow
- Where a change in the company is required, you have the confidence to tell us what to do
- You thrive in a culture of feedback – giving it and receiving it
- You care about making healthcare better for patients and staff. (You don’t need a healthcare background, but let us know if you have one!)
- You have excellent communication skills and the ability to explain the complex in a simple way, so anyone can understand you
- You share our values (read more about them in our Culture Deck)
- Meaningful share options, so that you own a part of the company
- Free breakfast, fruit and snacks in the office
- Catered lunches once a week and monthly dinners where we down tools and eat as a team
- Annual week-long team retreat, with partners invited for the weekend
- £400 annual fitness and exercise bonus, to help keep you active
- 28 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Brand new, spacious, light-filled office by Haggerston station
- Cycle to work scheme
- Top-spec laptop, Aeron chair, two screens
- Pension scheme
Posted about 1 month ago