Lead product designer
Hello, we’re Wevat! 👋
We’re making it easy for tourists to get tax back on their shopping, starting with the UK. Every year, millions of tourists fill out 10+ paper forms and queue for hours in the airport to get a VAT refund. They lose 30% in hidden fees and, until now, there was no other choice – two companies control the £1 billion that can be claimed. We’ve worked closely with regulators to bring this into the digital world and are the first (and only!) company doing this in the UK. We’re really excited to rebuild an industry that's relied on humans stamping paper forms for 40 years!
Since raising our seed round at the start of 2019, we’ve grown our team from 3 to 11 – and we’re not stopping! We’ve just officially launched our service in the UK and aim to be in France by the end of the year. We’re backed by leading VC and angel investors who've built companies including King Games, lastminute.com, Innocent Drinks and Net-A-Porter.
We have a mix of cultures, backgrounds, ages – we value this a lot and want to make sure we keep growing this way. We like challenging each other and believe everyone's voice matters. Our team is semi-distributed across the UK (we have an office in London), France and Portugal. We feel it's important to gather everyone together once in a while, so we have a team retreat every 6 months, a tech day every month and spend lots of time together over meals and drinks!
We are rebuilding this industry from scratch as we become the definitive refund service for travellers all over the world. The kind of company that doesn't need travellers to know anything about tax or touch a paper form. The kind of company that proactively gives tax authorities access to its data and informs them when there's something fishy.
As the lead designer, you'll work closely with the founders and the rest of the team to make this a reality. We expect you'll ask "why" a lot to challenge what we have so far. We expect you'll dig deep to understand our customers' pain points, come up with a bunch of ideas and test what works best. While your initial focus will be on our native iOS and Android apps, there's a lot beyond that (WeChat mini programs and our suite of internal tools, to name a couple). Once you've settled in, you'll probably want to make some additional hires too :)
What you can expect to be doing:
- Carry out user research to understand the pain points our customers have
- Work with the team to prioritise these issues and help us define our product roadmap
- Create prototypes, get feedback from users, iterate
- Produce polished designs ready for dev and adapted to iOS and Android
- Help with expanding our design team (user researcher and UX designer to start with)
- Help us define our brand identity and ensure it come across in every medium
- Work with us to figure out how we could make our users' shopping experiences even better
- Build the company together with us – we'd love for you to be involved across the business
We'd really like to see that you've previously taken a mobile app from MVP to something that lots of people love. You could be at another tech startup or a product agency – we don't mind. What matters is that you really care about the humans using your product and you're determined to figure out how to make their experience even better. We'll want to see that you empathise with them and it brings a smile to your face when they're amused at that easter egg you hid somewhere. Given that we deal with people's money, building trust is very important (remember that some users might be from countries where fintech isn't yet a thing). We'd love to see how you've done this in your previous work.
- Defining personas and conducting user research using a range of methods
- Summarising the research, translating into design ideas and communicating to the rest of the team
- Making prototypes, testing with users and iterating based on feedback
- Creating UI designs for iOS and Android, with a good understanding of the Human Interface Guidelines and Material Design
- Working closely with the engineering team to ensure that every detail is brought to life
- Experience working in a distributed team
- Getting extra help when needed (freelance or full-time)
- Previous startup experience – you're already used to the fast pace and uncertainty
- Experience with designing for international users (China is our current focus)
- Animation design (or at least a strong appreciation for it!)
- Being involved in making business decisions
- You decide on the kit you need to make awesome designs
- Team-wide tech day every month to build something fun
- Flexible working – we're happy for you to work from home when you feel like it
- Regular socials, including team meals and drinks, as well as two retreats a year (next one in Portugal in June!)
- Budget for coaching / mentoring, learning and development
- A friendly office with a barista – we're in Campfire Shoreditch